So I haven't touched weed in 13 days....but I'm having a drink tonight i dont really drink....is this bad?

Just getting everyones input

As long as it doesn’t push you back to weed.
I’ve been using weed to help with the worst of the drink cravings. I don’t like being stoned all that much so know it’s just a useful bandage for the time being.

But be honest with yourself. Will being hungover tomorrow make it infinitely harder to stay away from.weed? Will.you smoke weed while drunk? Will you just be replacing weed with booze?

If you think the answer even might be yes to any of those, then it is worth avoiding alcohol

3 Likes

Hi Stace - for me it’s about 3 questions -
A. What are you here for?
B. What is your greatest addiction?
C. What do you want to achieve?

If you are happy coming off weed and taking the occasional drink then that is your own personal choice. Most of us on here are addicts or have addictive personalities. I know how hard you are trying to overcome your battles. The bottom line is will you be happy with your decision after your drink. Noone can answer that but you. I wish you all the love and resilience to make the choice that suits your goals. Your a lovely person and and want you to get to the place where you are you. But only you can choose your path. S :heart:️xx

2 Likes

I’d say it’s a one time deal. I haven’t really drunk in years. I’ve never had a problem with alcohol and me and the mr decided to have a few drinks. We did decide on that because i was starting to crave pretty bad.

I’ve always been the drinker, not smoker amongst everyone, (and they smoke alot!) and the only time I touch weed is when I’ve been really drunk, so I wouldn’t!!
That’s my input, I just think alcohol is more likely to impair your judgement.

4 Likes

Be careful, it’s early days, that’s my opinion

2 Likes

Why bother? Why take a chance with booze when you’re doing so well with the weed? To me, it’s like a trick question without the answer!

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve found using a drug I don’t really touch has been okay ish at getting through craving. But I’m hyper aware of my though process because I don’t want to convince myself that I will be fine drinking again because I won’t.

First I want to say I don’t judge anyone for their choices in my opinion it is dangerous to replace one drug for another as addicts our brains have a way of tricking us into believing as long as we are not using our doc it’s ok to use other substances to ease the cravings of our doc. Then becoming addicted to the new substance just please be careful and good luck to you on the choice you decide to make. I know for me I have to stay clean and sober from all drugs but not all of us are the same. You have to decide what is right for you. I hope this helps.

5 Likes

Why are you drinking? If it is to replace the feeling you got from weed then that is a problem. You aren’t feeling with the reasons for why you wanted weed on the first place. If one has nothing to do with the other then maybe not.

I am an alcoholic and haven’t smoked weed in over 20 years so I clearly don’t have a pot problem. But I won’t smoke instead of drinking.

Hey Stacey,

I just want to say that all of this is coming from a place of non-judgement and eyes outside the window into your life. Any input I have at this point 8 hours later is unlikely to help you make your decision, but I will send my thoughts anyway.

My first question I would ask you is why alcohol? If it is because you truly enjoy alcohol and use it in a responsible manner, then it could be considered something akin to a cup of tea or chocolate and ice cream for someone else. But you yourself stated you hardly ever drink and haven’t consumed alcohol in quite some time. My concern would be a slippery slope and potential for introducing an addictive replacement substance. Would you be able to stop at a responsible level, because as an addict, we all tend to push beyond that healthy stopping point.

Secondly, I would ask what effects are you hoping to achieve. If it is a calming effect, stress reduction, numbing of the senses…I would encourage you to look around in this forum again, because most of us (myself included) are here because we self medicate with alcohol to get all of those desired effects. Unfortunately it comes with so many other non-enjoyable side effects. I would have no issues with alcohol as an adjunct to food or to enjoy responsibly, if I truly had that ability to enjoy it in that manner…but I have finally figured out I don’t.

Remember alcohol is a beverage, not a medicine; medicines have recommended dosages and prescriptions or directions for use. That’s why 24 years of self medicating hasn’t worked for me, but 1 month of pharmaceutical treatment and psychotherapy seem to have me on track.

I am one of the people on this forum that have been there with you from that very first day. I saw first hand (via your chats) the intense anxiety you experienced in those first couple days and shared your absolute elation when you made it over those first couple obstacles to your sobriety. I just don’t want to see you have to endure those events again because you had a rough night of cravings.

I will leave you with this scenario…if I posted the following question about my situation to the group, “I’m really having a hard time kicking alcohol, I’m at 21 days and am having really bad cravings. I’m thinking about smoking weed, any thoughts?”

Knowing everything about canabis that you do, what would your response be to my question?

2 Likes

The hardest part of this deal is being hoonest with yourself…you quit weed but are now using alcohol as a crutch…the real question should be why…why do you feel the need to be under the influence to deal?

1 Like

Thanks @Spartan_Chris. You are so right. I only had 3 or 4 beers and stopped. Thanks for your support. I am just craving so bad. Even today. Im not gna touch the alcohol again but i am craving bad today. Youre right i wud not encourage u to smoke weed. Alcohol is also dangerous for me because of why i want it. I won’t touch it again. Prevention better than cure. Thanks everyone else as well for all the support. I will make that one time few beers at that and not go back to it. But I am craving sooooooo much today. So much

2 Likes

I get cravings alot too, you just have to keep reminding yourself of the reasons you dont want it…

I know you are. And I know it’s difficult to focus on something else when your mind is inundated with thoughts of using. Just do yourself a favor and take a minute to look back through some of your posts from your journey thus far. I think when we do that, it is a visible timeline of how far we have come. I pulled this early post from you and I’ll bet the state of mind you were in when you wrote it, you would have never imagined you would be this far along today. Keep on track, u are doing so well and have come so far. :muscle:t2::grin::call_me_hand:t2:

Thanks so much @Spartan_Chris means heaps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it’s called cross addiction will lead you right back to your old ways, I’ve tried to subsisutute one for another it never worked for me

1 Like

Thanks heaps for all the advice and support. I don’t have a drinking problem…yet…so can avoid that too now. Thanks everyone x

2 Likes