So much work to do on myself!

Hi everyone :wave:, To Start off today is my 10th day sober!!! I am so relieved and happy to be here! Still struggling with insomnia, but I have been assured that it will resolve itself in time! The thing is I have so much more work to do on myself. Alcohol is by far the biggest monkey on my back. I also abused pills ( been clean from those for a week). The next obstacle that I need to overcome is my relationship with food. I seem to be eating like it’s my job and I certainly don’t want to trade drinking for binge eating! I have a certain amount of weight to lose anyways and have this vision in my head of overhauling my health and life!!! I want to be the best version of myself that I can. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment because I realize that kicking alcohol out of my life is going to be a lifetime of work and now I feel like my relationship with food is going to be as well :persevere:.

13 Likes

Totally know how you feel, I’m going to start a binge eating counter on the app and see how that turns out. Or at least cut out so much sugar :flushed:

10 days is great well done.
Keep taking things 1 step at a time, many of us have dual addictions so you aren’t alone…
There are a few threads regarding food that may help you if you use the search bar to look for them.
Take a few deep breaths, you are dealing with things, just take one hour, one day at a time, making good choices to the best of your ability each day.

2 Likes

Yes! Never was much of a sugar person until I decided to sober up :confounded:🤦 .

1 Like

Good job on the 10 days! I think it’s common for us to eat more coming off alcohol! My big issue is sugar. I’m almost 7 months sober and I came up with the bright idea I was going to give up sugar lol that was short lived! I immediately started wanting to drink need less to say I had some chocolate boy it sure helped stop the cravings of the booze! Anyways give yourself a break maybe distract yourself with going for a walk or journal! I also have adult coloring books and some nice gel pins for me that is a great way to distract myself from all sorts of things.

1 Like

Like you say, this stuff is a lifetime of work. Of course the work changes over time, but we have to keep showing up to be the best version of ourselves we can be.

On the flip side of that, we have our whole lives to do it, we don’t have to get everything perfect straight away. I know for me, sobriety has opened up lots of challenges that I wasn’t really aware of, and it is taking time to work through those things, to address them in a way that feels sustainable. It was my first step on a path of healing and growth. It can be hard and overwhelming.

I totally agree with @littlemisschatterbox - taking it one day at a time is the way. There is a good reason that phrase is used so much in the recovery community!

2 Likes

Be gentle with yourself. While your body is getting use to the lack of sugar from alcohol it WILL crave it and far better to have the food and sugar than to have the alcohol. Give it time and when you are stronger in your sobriety then look at your eating patterns. Trying to do too much too soon will indeed overwhelm you. One step at a time. You’re doing great :blush:

2 Likes

Hey Gina :wave: 10 days is awesome!!! Well done, the first few weeks are hard! I have to agree with @littlemisschatterbox @siand and @adeygaga49 on this. Slow and steady wins the race! Try not to be too hard on yourself with dealing with everything all at once. In the early days I would of most certainly caved if I couldn’t of had my sweet bits. One step at a time :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Saw this and thought of you @Gina

2 Likes

@Gina please try not to get too overwhelmed and end up trying to do everything at once.
I’m in EXACTLY the same boat as you, and in the past I’ve tried to fix everything in one hit, stop drinking, exercise madly, fast or eat very little, all at the same time, but I’ve always failed and ended up right back where I was and worse.
Remember that drinking and eating sugar (or overeating) are probably all tools you’ve learned to help you cope with the stresses of your life.
If you take them all away in one go, without having other ways to cope, it stands to reason that the odds will be against you. Like you, I’m starting with alcohol first, but just trying to be more aware of what I’m eating, but not completely cutting anything out or trying to do anything too radical food wise.
I know when I was drinking there were times when I would eat any old crap and not care, so that’s got to be an improvement!
I understand from others on here that weight loss is a normal part of recovery from alcohol, but it doesn’t normally happen straight away.
Be patient, be aware of what you’re eating but if it comes down to a choice between a bottle of wine and some biscuits one night, go for the biscuits in the early days. Chances are if you break and choose the wine, you’ll probably end up eating the biscuits as well anyway when you’re pissed (at least I would).

One monkey at a time, I reckon. Good luck to you :hugs:

3 Likes

I love that! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! Your advice is exactly why I get on here and check in like it’s oxygen for me at times!!! One a positive note: I am 11 days sober from alcohol and almost 1 week sober off sleep pills!!! It physically feels wonderful!!!

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I really needed it!

1 Like

You are very welcome lovely. I’m sure I will need your advice at some point lol. This place is amazing! Being there for each other during this journey is priceless. I’m so glad for this place :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like