So scared after a terrible weekend

I drank pretty much this whole weekend away, now I’m so low I can’t stand it. I can’t get out of bed, I called in sick to work, I can’t stop shaking, I’m an absolute wreck and I can’t shake this feeling of panic and dread. I can’t even look in the mirror right now, I’m so ashamed of myself. I wish the ground would open and swallow me whole. I haven’t got a clue how I’m going to get through today with this awful feeling. Any kind words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

You are going to be gentle with yourself. You are going to write yourself a letter detailing why you can never do this again. You will try to eat if you can; if not, take a multivitamin or an Emergen-C and hydrate as much as possible.

You forgive yourself. You decide that you don’t have to live like this any more. When you feel feel a little better, start putting together a plan for how you are going to get better.

We’ve all been there. Just know that you don’t ever have to be there again.:heart:

16 Likes

Hey – Sorry to hear you’re going through this. I have been there, pretty much all of us have. The day after is awful. Just remember that a lot of these feelings of dread and anxiety is your brain chemicals being severely out of whack due to the drinking, and it will level out in time. For me, it was always a day or two of “awful” and then slowly getting better.

Be kind and patient with yourself. You made a mistake. You cannot undo what has been done, but you can prepare yourself for the future, to prevent this from happening again. Remember how this feels and use it. That can be hard, as the nasty feelings fade over time – but what I did was I took a picture of myself the last day I was in the position you’re in right now. You can see the pure misery painted all over my face, I look at the picture from time to time. It is a physical reminder of why I will not drink again, a representation of the misery it brings me.

You’ll get through today. I promise. It feels awful, I know. Been there many times. Just try to keep in mind that it will pass, and now you get another chance to stay sober…you’ll just need to plan how to approach it differently this time. In the mean time, I recommend getting some quality food into your stomach, plenty of water, fresh air, and exercise if you are up for it. That’ll help.

All the best

6 Likes

Continuing the discussion from If you are struggling:

You have nothi g life threatening, its just a hangover and you no how to avoid that

1 Like

I second Mo. write a letter

I know the feeling too well. The only thing that I can count on to get me through is time passing. I usually can’t even sleep. I’m sorry your going through it right now. I’ve been there so many times. You aren’t a bad person, and you will get past this. It’s never too late for change. Just get through today. Tomorrow will have to be better.

2 Likes

I don’t have much to add as I feel like everyone has given good advice.

I have been there many times too. I hope you can feel better. This video helped me.

1 Like

Nutrition, Vitamins (b12 helps nervous system and digestion), Hydration, Meditation, and find a meeting close to home and sit in the front bc sitting in the back AA members call “denial aisle”. Raise your hand at the meeting and say you need help. AA is a group of people helping people. One of the first steps in recovery is overcoming fear. Approaching people for help is a step in overcoming that fear and an awesome step in recovery. Hope this helps.:blush:

3 Likes