Sober 1sts

Last night went to an outdoor concert at 29 days sober. Today is day 30. At the event my wife and I spent a total or $2 on hot water for our tea. People all around us were getting high and spending $12 on beers. We would have easily spent $50 and also had to pay for a round trip Uber. That felt so freeing being able to drive ourselves.

Although the first 20 minutes for anxiety provoking since I’m sensitive to the movement and sounds produced by crowds, I survived.

Small victories equal big rewards. What have you recently done that you did for the first time sober that you felt challenged by, but conquered?

29 Likes

Keep it going and so glad you had a great sober time! As an added bonus you even get to remember it!
There are going to be so many firsts you will experience. My first time going to sporting events was a bit nerve racking, but they got easier. Family and friends parties were tough. I would drive separately from my wife so if I got feeling squirrely I could leave. Weddings are another with challenges like open bars. Ive been to three now and was just fine. I left early when the drunkenness started happening. You can do it and believe me it’s worth it. I’m just over two years sober and my life is so much better. Enjoy this journey!

3 Likes

Small victories equal big rewards.

Very nice. I’m gonna use this one.

1 Like

Yep. Two years ago I did a music festival sober. It was awesome. Sadly I had relapsed before last year’s festival. It was less fun. It was all about beer lines…trying to get a beer when I went to the bathroom so my hubby didn’t notice how much I drank. I still did see a few good shows but too much time and energy focused on alcohol…not music. I WON’T do that again!!

4 Likes

I was for 5 years sober before, so have done many things sober before. Just done my holiday sober and I think from all events that and sober concerts are the hardest for me. So 2 weeks Italy with pizza, icecreams, sun and terraces sober is a big victory for me.

Well done on your own victory and congratulations with your first month sober!! :facepunch:

3 Likes

I did a work social event sober the other day. Boat tour for staff appreciation. Free wine, beer & cider samples plus cash bar for full size, spirits etc. My real test will be camping soon :sweat:

3 Likes

It’s my first day on this app and posts like this are inspiring. My fears are social events like festivals, camping I also help out a distillery at gin festivals etc … looking forward to doing anything sober to be honest

9 Likes

Welcome Dave!
Glad you are here!

2 Likes

Amber,

Really great to hear that you’re still plugging away. Congratulations on the 30 days.

1 Like

Got pulled over by the police the other day. First time ever I’ve been sober when done so! Bloody brake light was out :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Thank you, on vacation now…staying strong. Fortunate to have my wife staying strong with me. We both are embracing sobriety together. Challenging moments here and there. Not being able to numb out like we use to is definitely a new normal!

1 Like

Must feel good to not be worried about being intoxicated while talking to an officer…nice work man!

I am rereading The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober…the book is amazing…I highly encourage you to check it out…it has so many strategies for newly sober folks in all situations that seem daunting.

2 Likes

i also love just spending my money on food at the event, instead of booze/uber

1 Like

Amber - thanks for the recommendation. Funnily enough I was contemplating which book to read on my holiday.

Day 1 for me too!! The headache tonight is not fun. Starting to feel sleepy early.

1 Like

I decided not to go to bed too early but it’s 4am here in the uk and I’m wide awake. If this carries on much longer the dog and I are going walking at first light ! I already feel sorry for her as she loves to sleep … stay strong

1 Like

Welcome to the community! Early morning walks to a sunrise are so refreshing! I love’em

2 Likes

Just returned from first sober camping trip!! The clarity of mind was obvious in that I didn’t stress about the packing, wasn’t jumping down the kids throats at everything. But best of all, no falling around being pissed, and waking up a complete mess!! Good times had by all, hopefully first of many to come!!

4 Likes

I have whole week off next week, am going away with the kids. I’m looking forward to having some sober fun. For the first time in a long time I’m hoping to not worry about whether there’s enough beers in the fridge to get me through or justifying morning beers ‘because I’m on holiday’

Four days in and feeling ok (ish)

2 Likes