Sober addict dating another sober addict?

Just looking for any relevant advice information you may have for my current situation.

I am 2 years sober. This woman is 1.5 years sober. I’ve been single 9 years, she’s been single 4. We are both very independent and autonomous with a stable sobriety. We are both very interested in one another, which I am grateful for. I am going to meet her family over the fourth of july actually :grimacing:.

My current feeling is she would improve my life and harden my sobriety. I have no clue what I’m getting into otherwise. Even if we both weren’t sober :joy:. Anything helps. Thanks team.

5 Likes

This sounds like a positive thing! It’s good that you’re both past the first year so both should be more stable in recovery.

I would say give a go! Take it slow, keep the communication flowing and enjoy yourself!

3 Likes

I’m happy for you, Matt; finding someone special that you enjoy hanging out with is a great gift!:clap::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Good luck Matt in your relationship. @anon79808082 said it best. Finding someone special that you enjoy hanging out with is a great gift, especially if you have the same goals in life centered around sobriety. It could be the beginning of a most beautiful relationship. Soulmates do not come around very often.
I was married 10+ years to a lady that I met in Alcoholics Anonymous. Some of the best years of my life. We both had a united goal of sobriety. Good luck my friend and congratulations. :heart:

2 Likes

Sounds like a beautiful place to start. Relax and enjoy! :heart:

2 Likes

I’ve heard it said to wait two years before starting a relationship in sobriety. You’re there but she is not. Obviously it’s just a recommendation. Perhaps you should both talk to your sponsors about it if you have sponsors and then discuss that together after. For me personally I don’t think I could date a girl who was less sober than me, but I would consider an exception for an exceptional woman. Good luck.

2 Likes

I have heard both great success and total disaster stories in the halls. Both early recovery and large long periods of sobriety have had things work out and fail. I would just make sure that your first priority is having a no excuses attitude toward staying stopped. Talk about religious beliefs and politics to make sure you are compatible. Also peoples lifestyle and race tolerances etc. To make sure that there are no surprises. Since a break up could be a trigger for one or both of you and that would be a huge disappointment to see such good people lose such great accomplishments. You should both be proud of yourselves no matter what happens after your serious talk. Hope this helps. Going into a relationship blind with that much on the line would be tragic. Best of luck.

1 Like

Turns out she was bipolar and fighting cravings the entire time so she was sooooooo fuckin irritable. Which is understandable but not what I signed up for. She needs more sober time and/or brain chemistry balancing.

I stood up for myself in a respectful way. I literally said ‘out of the love and respect I have for myself, I am not going to be able to put up with behavior like this on a regular basis’. I’m back home with the pup listening to free bird. Life is good.

Called my sponsor before leaving and I would recommend everyone do the same before making a consequential decision like that.

Happy 4th!!

9 Likes

Pup won’t disappoint! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

He loved me the whole time we were up north if you’d believe it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Also, what would I do differently next time:

-stand up for myself more on the first day of constant belittling.

-dont let significant other declare ‘off limits topics for the weekend’. Won’t work if is something currently bothersome/relevant

What I would still do:

-journal my thoughts in phone app and reword them the next morning.

-call my sponsor to get objective viewpoint and ensure sobriety is not impacted

-block number, any communication from her in next 6 months can’t be good. Brain chemistry takes time.

5 Likes

Sounds like you met my ex. LOL :rofl: @KeepMovingForward at least you didn’t ignore all the red flags like I did. My sponsor at the time told me I wasn’t ready to be in a relationship yet, so I fired him. :pleading_face: We live and learn… Congratulations Matt not making the same mistake I did. :heart:

1 Like

If you are both secure in your individual sobriety, I’d say there’s less risk in entering into a relationship, than there would be dating a “normie”. The risk of one relapsing and taking the other down is less than one relapsing from regular exposure that would come with dating a “normie”. If anything, it would add additional accountability, IMHO.

At some point, life must move forward. If forward means pursuing romantic relationships, then get after it.

1 Like

Thanks for the positive feedback. It means a lot. I have always put up with anything to stay in the relationship that was causing so much damage. First time applying the lessons learned. Thanks again for the feedback, you can also do things differently if you run into that situation again.

2 Likes

Two years is a better rule than 1 in my opinion having gone through this experience.

1 Like

That is what I did and what I would recommend. All negative things, while I was not completely innocent, were largely out of my control.

1 Like