Sober and scared to start a new job

I’ve been an alcoholic for 25 years. I stopped drinking 5 weeks ago and I lost my job 4 weeks ago.

I just got a job offer to start on 4/13. I was scared shitless to do the 2 interviews and I’m even more scared to start the job. Everything about life is different. I have been drunk or sick for so long that I don’t even know what’s real. My head hurts and I have zero confidence.

I’d appreciate any advice to make it through. Thanks.

2 Likes

Alcohol isn’t my doc but I would suggest using the Search function at the top to search for relevant threads as this has been covered before in some similar way by somebody going through something either the same or very close.
Welcome to the forum and community. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey welcome, and congrats on getting on the right path. I think alot of us have been there, I’ve gotten fired from one job, and walked out on other bc I got caught sleeping in one of the beds​:joy::joy:. I was a housekeeper at a hotel and came in hungover on new years day lol. Any besides that, if this company hired you, they obviously saw something in you that they liked. So keep the faith it’s always nerve wracking starting something new, but you must of showed some sort of leadership and good work ethic for them to pull the trigger and hire you out of I’m sure a few other ppl. So congrats on the new job, new beginnings can be a very good thing in early sobriety and keep you on the good path. Once you get done the first day you’ll be patting yourself on the back.

4 Likes

I’m asb alcoholic and as an alcoholic there’s 2 things that disrupt my life:

1. The way things are
  2. Change
    I get it. Totally sucks. Try to remember that FEAR is an evil and corroding thread. The fabric of our existence is shot through with it.
    False Evidence Appearing Real
    That is fear. In 9 months you’ll be so comfortable in that job that if you have to take a promotion or move with the company you’ll be in fear of that too. That’s our nature. Completely normal. Trusting our higher power and allowing him to answer our prayers is key to understanding how we react. For me it’s my reaction to change that I have control over. I often ask myself how do I want to look back on this? Do I want to remember myself walking through this with confidence and embracing it.
    Or the alternative: I walked through this chapter timid and docile. For me the confidence always lifts my chin. So that when my next fear arrives… and it will… my chin is already in the air and my chest is already filled with confidence
4 Likes

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for helping. Confidence and hope are two things I never lacked up until 5 weeks ago.

Part of living sober is learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable. It’s getting better at getting better. It is possible to learn to do all the things we used to do while drinking, sober.

I’ve heard it all: sober dating. Sober socializing. Sober sex. Sober dancing. Sober cooking, and cleaning and yardwork.

Here’s the truth: we once had the ability to function just fine without booze. It was called “childhood”. The ability to live sober still resides in each and every one of us. We just have to reach back through all the bullshit and lies we’ve come to believe, and there we will find the truth:

Sober is better, and I am better sober.

4 Likes

Thank you. That’s a great point about learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Recovery is all about getting used to being uncomfortable and often realising that it is okay to not be okay. We tend to get this idea that life will be perfect when we put down our drug of choice but it’s not, nobody’s life is perfect, we will all face trials and tribulations. It is how we deal with then that counts.
Good luck with your new job, I’m sure that you will absolutely smash it! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah!!! What Every Single One of These People Said!!! That is All!!!
Congrats and Welcome!!

2 Likes

Did you ever hear back from Lance?

@Neaner how are you doing? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’m hanging in there Shorts :joy:!!! What’s Shakin’ with you!!

@anon79808082 I wonder what’s going on? I hope he’s ok. He hasn’t been heard from since the weekend. He was worried about the weekend coming.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words.

@Lance83, where are you buddy??

1 Like

@JorshWarsh
A new job…Good for you. Take it, grab on, you can do this. Just one step in front of the other.

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement.

1 Like