Sober and stressed and lonely

I have been a “known” alcoholic for about 2 years now. I’ve destroyed a lot in my life in that short time, also while I have been in a toxic relationship. I usually stop drinking when I feel bad about myself for something I did while drunk and then start again when I feel better. I know, how stupid.
I am struggling right now. I was 15 days sober, and had a glass of wine today due to my stress. I’m always reaching for alcohol to try to cope. This time, however, I had an anxiety attack to follow. I haven’t felt that horrible and scared in a long time. Worst part is that I am home alone with my 4 kids. Thankfully the attack passed, but I still am alone. My fiance and I are splitting up, and it’s been difficult. He has emotionally and mentally abused me during our entire relationship. I have finally had enough and am trying to get away from him. He is trying to wiggle his way back in, but I keep fighting against it, for the umpteenth time. I think the loneliness and the stress are making my sobriety so much harder. I wish I could catch a break. I am already so defeated. Any words of encouragement would be so greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Have you considered AA? I tried many times on my own but never got very far. I had to do things I didn’t want to do and for me that meant going to a meeting. I haven’t had to drink in over a year and I thank AA for showing me the way. I go to lots of meetings with youngs kids present so don’t let that stop you.

4 Likes

I’m stuggling daily as well I have 10 days now been working a lot that helps and going to the gym .AA could help allot support and people that don’t drink and don’t want you too drink AA is helping me learn coping skills.hang in there

1 Like

I haven’t tried AA yet. I have an appointment for outpatient rehab next week though. I hope there will be some relief there.

6 Likes

I understand! 7 days strong today and I’m on vacation with 4 kids and its super exhausting bc we came to a cosplay convention and our kids range from 4 to 16 and I wanted to pull my hair out. I wanted to walk up to the bar and order a beer and a whiskey on the rocks, but I didnt. I’ve done it in the past but this time I just knew it wasnt right. I’ve bumped my head so many times. You can do this. Life gets you down, but God only gives you what you can handle! So wipe those tears, take a shower and straighten up your crown and be the person you deserve for yourself and those kids! We got this girl!!

2 Likes

Your story sounds familiar to many of us. I’m glad you are reaching out. I’m also glad you joined us. Keep coming back!

PS
I see u just joined. Just a heads up. You can only post a couple times on your first 24 hours on forum. It’s an anti spam thing. But after 24 hours you can post as much as you’d like!
So don’t fret. You can still read all you’d like tonight.

Best wishes pal

1 Like

Can’t say I know how difficult it is for you, but I really hope you pull through. Maybe your kids can be a part of your recovery process. Perhaps take them out to the park, or take them to their favourite dessert place when you feel the urge to drink. Also, I’ve made access to alcohol difficult for myself, I’ve given away all of my bottles and try to keep no alcohol at home.

All the best :heart: