Sober but scared

So I’m sober. Day 1. The consequences may be worse than ever. I can’t get my head out of feeling guilty and ashamed. I’m desperate to quit and stay sober. But I’m scared of what I might have lost in this relapse.

4 Likes

Day 1…a most important day!

My feelings of guilt and shame were my prime motivators to quit drinking. I wanted to stop feeling like that. So far, it is also the biggest benefit.
This can be your last Day 1 !!!
Check in here often, especially if you’re feeling tempted or uncertain.

7 Likes

I also have that horrible feeling. I hate it, yet can’t stop drinking too prevent it. And my family and job are in significant Jeopardy. I have to quit. I want to quit. I’m sober right now but want to be sober forever

2 Likes

So you have all reason to stay sober forever indeed. Staying sober will keep you safe. Still don’t look ahead too far. If you can manage today there is no reason you can’t do it again tomorrow. Welcome to your sobriety Clarney.

3 Likes

You got this!! You can do it take one day at a time it will be so worth it!! I’m only on day 10 and the first few days i had anxiety but it gets better!!

2 Likes

If we could keep this forever, we’d likely all be able to stop and stay stopped pretty easily.

This is my third attempt at quitting forever, I had hundreds of cut backs, and taking break periods. 1 of the reason I’ve been sober for 19 months this time is I don’t let go of that guilt and shame, I use it to my advantage, I play the tape forward. I know damn well where a drink will get me because I had a PHD in drunken behavior research.

@Clarney play that tape, you know where using and drinking will take you, you’ve lost a lot, how much more do you stand to lose? Ingratiate yourself into the sober community, cruise this forum for hours, find a real life meeting if you can. Hanging around sober people promotes sober thinking and action.

If a bottom feeding drunk like me can get and stay sober, you can get sober too.

4 Likes

Have you tried the 30 day alcohol experiment from Annie Grace. It helped me to quit.

2 Likes

No but I’ll look into it. Thank you.

Thank you. Right now all the consequence are marriage related. That tape is pretty nasty for me. Guilt too. I’ve gotta quit

You can do this. Just take it one day at a time. One hour one minute. The days add up quicker than you might think.

1 Like

Hope your day one went well and i know its hard but try not to focus on the caos caused but using, aslong a we can stay sober/clean one day at a time things can only get better :blush: i relate to the guilt too im back on day 1 also but anything is better than still being in the madness, wish you well!

2 Likes

Thank you! Today is a bit brighter

1 Like

Thank you! Day one was ok. Day two is a little better, little brighter. I have some serious apologies I need to do to help that guilt. Sorry to hear you are back on day 1, keep at it and stay safe!

2 Likes

Day 3 now. Still here. Bad meeting yesterday with bad advice. Going to find a better one today

1 Like

The only time frame that helped me stay sober was 24 hours. I still stay sober one day by one day. What I did yesterday will help, but there is work for me to do today to guarantee I lay a sober head on my pillow tonight. It really helped me to recall that 8 hours a day were spent sleeping, so I really only had 16 hours to deal with. And I could whittle that down, you know an hour in a meeting, an hour traveling, etc, until it really became manageable, in my mind.

The first rule of making amends I had to learn was to not apologize, to not say I was sorry. I had to take ownership my behavior and acknowledge that it was wrong or hurtful, and present a plan or present evidence that I will behave differently in the future, that I am behaving differently today. The second rule was that no amends is worth diddly if I don’t stay sober.

I am sending you light and courage for today, brother. :pray:

3 Likes

Well I have made it a week. For all aspects I feel better. Clearer. More sane. My wife is handing me all the consequences she thinks I deserve and I feel resentment, which is the next thing I’m dealing with. One day at a time

2 Likes