Sober together…please don’t give up on us

My girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years. After week after week of unhealthy binge drinking we have decided to break up with alcohol. It’s been almost 2 weeks and we are starting to realize that we have to start learning each other all over again from different view. I am so so scared of losing her because if I am being honest, I believe I am the reason we drank so much. In the past I have stopped drinking because everyone and everything but ME. This round I feel different about it, I am positive and I know that drinking is not for me. I know just 2 weeks in we have to be patient with the changes we are going through, but our lives our so full of stress and that was always our go to. I hope she can be patient with me, if not than I will be so heartbroken, but I cannot fight this battle within me anymore.

If anyone has any activities they can suggest that would be great.

10 Likes

Congratulations on 2 weeks’ sober and wanting to make a change for the better!

I speak for myself but having read many stories here and talked with other members what you are describing is totally normal.

Once you choose to leave your addict self behind your sober self takes a dim view of your prior actions and person. It’s natural and I believe we all go through it. Don’t be too hard on yourself and if you can, try not to be too scared. Keep on the path and make new memories together.

3 Likes

Congrats on your 2 weeks…awesome work there!! I really enjoy walking, running, hiking nature trails or just walks in nature in general. Just taking a walk together after a meal is nice. Maybe try a yoga or meditation class together? I am partial to restorative yoga and yin yoga…both super relaxing and meditative and you don’t move much. There is also a 12 step yoga in some places if that sounds cool to you. I also like baking and eating! Lol oh, maybe you would enjoy something like this…

A Year of Us: A Couple’s Journal: One Question a Day to Spark Fun and Meaningful Conversations (Question a Day Couple’s Journal) https://a.co/d/7IvRBKc

5 Likes

I love the book idea! Thank you for the suggestions.

1 Like

Thank you James!!

You’re welcome! Did with my husband for a few years, it was a positive experience. :smiling_face:

1 Like

What kind of things did you do when you were dating? Was there anything you used to do but then drinking took over?