Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

I’m reading a book about Vipassana and another about Zen. It is interesting with Buddhism, on the one hand it seems far less concerned with converting people. But then on the other monks and nuns exist (like you say) and by devoting their life to Buddhism that is seen as benefitting both them and others.

I have got a lot from Buddhist philosophy too, and enjoyed Recovery Dharma. Helped me to frame some mental health stuff. Which then got confused as I went through CBT and then everything shifted when I went onto these antidepressants :upside_down_face:

I try and just take what I need and leave the rest, although I find it uncomfortable. Much like with yoga to be fair. It sometimes seems almost disrespectful to these ancient spiritual systems to just pick and choose. But equally things change and evolve, and people from those systems and backgrounds seem broadly happy to share the bits that most resonate with Western audiences.

There are loads of great online RD meetings though, I keep meaning to try and dip back in. When I was really struggling it was a format that helped me.

7 Likes

I don’t see the problem. We have to find our own way through life. While of course everybody should adhere to some basic rules that we all know, through our shared humanity. There’s no holy or sacred text needed for that.

Even the most stringent hard line follower of whatever religion or other belief system has to dilute their following of the rules as prescribed by scripture. Otherwise there’s no normal life possible. The few who really try to totally follow those rules make this world into an unlivable place for us all. It’s just a matter of degree. I think.

And it’s also not a matter of just taking the easy bits and leaving out the hard ones. We take what best fits our own lives. What helps us. Again, while not losing out of sight our and everybody’s humanity.

5 Likes

Hey there people happy to find a thread like this, i was raised as a Christian but never went to church only with school singing and stuff. I am not religious i dont practice any but at the same time im open to all sorts my main way of living is influenced by Buddhism but again i dont practice it just take some values of it with me cos its kind and i like that. SMART recovery worked for me for a while but now i have my own way and it works for me. Im open and interested in hearing about religious beliefs cos its interesting and the film Stigmata is great lol. Anyway loving this thread x

8 Likes

100% get that. The more I get into dharma, the more I feel like hypocrite at times. Part of my life doesnt, and probably will never align with the teachings…

I can leave that part out…but…

1 Like

As an atheist who wants to be sober for my children and myself, I want to say thank you for this thread! I haven’t come across anything like this before.

And also many thanks to the OP for bringing up the topic :heart::heart:

9 Likes

I get all that, i get progress, there are times I feel like I said. I guess that makes me perfectly human.
.yay!!! Lol

3 Likes

So for yoga, to practice the asanas but not be hugely knowledgeable of, or believing in, the rest of the vedic philosophy from which it comes. I don’t call myself a yogi because of that. As I do not call myself a Buddhist, although I find value in many of the teachings. But ya know, they (yoga and Buddhism) are complete things, not just health and wellbeing activities. I just dip in and pick the bits that serve me.

I suppose being mindful of that, and respectful of the larger systems that they come from, is a good thing!

5 Likes

I am with you on this. We can learn from a variety of sources…none being the one true source. Strict adherence to any one way can and has resulted in a lot of strife.

Of course my way of thinking is not the one true way either. :wink:

I feel like I need to pull out some of my old philosophy books now. :books:

8 Likes

Yes but when you look at it like that then none of my overthinking makes any sense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This cracked me up!!! And so true for us all at times.

2 Likes

VENTING. If someone believes god helps them stay sober, I don’t want to interfere with that. But I have often been annoyed by those who are not content to practice their own beliefs, they want me to believe whatever they do. In the AA context, I understand when someone wants to share what works for them, but there are many paths. Oh, well. Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

12 Likes

Hey all :relaxed: 65 days in :black_heart:

12 Likes

This is a very interesting topic for me…
I had and still have a lot of questions on the whole god thing.

I could only share what works for me.
I took a lot of good ideas from the AA 12 steps, and i make it work out with the way i see things.

So even though aa is not for me, but i did learn a lot by reading books related to AA.

I definitely cant stay sober myself, so i do need a group format face to face with others who struggle with the same things i struggle with.

6 Likes

That’s the point IMHO, and there’s scientific evidence to back that up too. It’s the shared experience, and the support of our peers that helps in Recovering from our addictions. The togetherness. Not the strict following of whatever rules whatever peer support group has implemented.

8 Likes

How wonderful and great to see you!!!

1 Like

One stroke at a time, flying your way forward - congrats @anon29496718! :raised_hands:t2: :innocent:

1 Like

Thank you! :relaxed: :black_heart:

1 Like

Thanks @Matt !! :relaxed::black_heart:

1 Like

Keep up adding those sober days of freedom!!

1 Like

Absolutely!! :relaxed::black_heart:

1 Like