Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Hi this is my first time on this forum via the sober time app. I’ve been sober off meth since Easter 2022. Sober from alcohol starting today. I’m an atheist and it’s important to me

12 Likes

Lots of welcomes Jay! Welcome to Talking Sober, welcome to this particular thread, welcome to sobriety from alcohol. Here’s hoping this place can be as helpful to you as it has been to me. Wishing you all success for sure. Take care.

1 Like

Welcome and so glad you found us on this thread! Major congrats on your clean time since Easter and glad you’re here for support as you navigate sobriety from alcohol.

Thanks for the welcome. A little more about me: I’m 35, white male sis, ex military. I’m a big fan of the Scathing Atheist podcast and affiliated shows. I’m very left leaning and consider myself an lbgt ally and a SJW although I honestly haven’t been involved in that much real world activism.

When I stopped using meth I went to my doctor and my psychiatrist has me on Wellbutrin and Natrexone and Trazadone for sleep. Haven’t really done much therapy tho

5 Likes

Instagram link

7 Likes

I was free of substances for 18 months before I started therapy. Half a year of that time I was on a waiting list tbh. Still it’s first things first, like finding some stabilty in life, like a new physical and fysiological balance in our bodies, a steady job we feel secure in maybe. Therapy done the right way is hard work. Not sure you need it as I don’t know you of course. I sure did and still do.

5 Likes

I don’t believe in labeling myself because to me it’s just another possible mind trap but this sums up where I’m at nicely :sunglasses::metal:t2:

10 Likes

8 Likes

Ahahahahahahaha I like that :joy::+1:

4 Likes

Hahahahaha I love that!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::sunglasses::metal:t2:

3 Likes

10 Likes

Interesting ruling. This case is about a Buddhist pilot with a substance abuse problem who had to attend aa to keep flying, but now can attend Dharma Recovery instead. Too bad that, as I understand, atheists using the same logic have not been allowed an alternative when forced to attend aa as part of their rehabilitation in the USA.

6 Likes

In the Discussion section in this article:

“Evidence suggests that perceived coercion in treatment is linked to an impaired therapeutic process and outcome compared to voluntary treatment.”

There’s a lot of other interesting detail and findings in there about mandatory treatments for addiction.

There’s a lot of factors but a key one is that it’s about autonomy and choice. It’s like if I am forced to eat celery instead of any other vegetable. Eating veggies is important for everyone, but if I’m forced to eat only one of the dozens (hundreds!) of possibilities, the chance to really gain healthy perspective and strength is diminished.

5 Likes

11 Likes

The longer I am sober, the more I see I was just so dependent on alcohol. It was my go to for really everything. I used it to drown my sadness, to loosen up when I was filled with anxiety, to celebrate any type of good thing that happened to me and then it became my constant companion. I knew that no matter what I was going through, I had alcohol there to keep me company. I gave it a role in my life and allowed it to control so many parts of me. The very harsh truth is that with that control I very willingly gave away, I was also making myself smaller.

I can see it that way now that I have been sober, and it’s something that makes me sad to think about. I feel as if I am grieving those years, memories and moments I will never get back. The people I hurt and the ones I allowed to hurt me while having no control. I think of the messes I have made and how careless I was with my life and the people around me. As much as this saddens my heart, it also makes me feel so incredibly happy. I am still here. I made it. I never thought I would still be here.

With therapy and being sober, I can finally say that I can see ME again. The ME that I wanted to be so so many years ago. I thought I lost that person for good…. But I didn’t :relaxed: I’m learning that I deserve my love, I deserve my compassion, I deserve my forgiveness and I will always keep trying to be the best version of myself that I can be.

This is long and I rarely ever make them long but today felt like the perfect day to do so. It’s snowy and cold here and I’m having some coffee along with my piano playlist in the background. It’s peaceful and quiet and mine. I have my life back :relaxed::black_heart:

17 Likes

That’s wonderful, I’m so happy to hear that. It’s such a nice feeling when that understanding crystallizes. I’m happy for you :innocent:

1 Like

Thank you @Matt :relaxed: it’s been a long time coming for sure!

1 Like

You have to be atheist / agnostic and without god to post here? :zap:

1 Like

I would say that this thread is dedicated for us agnostic/atheist/humanist people. No religion or religious talk. If you can respect that we are good :relaxed:

8 Likes

Sounds like a really good day and an honest and healthy headspace for you. Love this for you!! :heart:

3 Likes