Sobriety as a personal idea and Relapse

This is something that I think about alot as I have access to alot of intoxicants easily. Most of the people I know take intoxicants regularly ( I think 1 of my friends doesnt)

So my question is ( and there is no right or wrong, the answer will always be personal)–
Do you avoid all intoxicants, or just you DOC?
If you can use your DOC in certain environments or occasions, and then not touch it again, do you count it as relapse?
And lastly, do you view drug taking as a bad thing, if someone can control their use? Or it doesn’t affect them so negatively?

Love

All intoxicants. When I quit my doc, but Take other things Im very quick to “fill the gap” left by my doc with something else. Mainly to get what my doc offered me but its a natural response as the Hormones crave that state and if they cant get it this way then any other way. Thats why its likely you would replace one addiction with another and that still isnt the end of it because I then think well if Im already on something I can go back to my doc. Either Im sober or not.

Yes it would be a relapse, such a situation would not make the addiction go away, moderation is always an illusion.

People can take drugs if they are not addicted but the clear mind is preferable, to ensure mental and physichal health. Benefits of sobriety outweigh any drugs except with medical super Vision.

3 Likes

I reached the end of the line with quitting alcohol. Was a pot and hash (and nicotine) addict for 35 years, after I quit that my alcohol intake increased steadily over the last 4 years. Went from a binge drinker to binging combined with drinking at home daily where I smoked daily all day before.
Tried a lot of other drugs but they were just too invasive. Couldn’t go to work after doing coke or heroin or xtc or benzos whatever. I quit alcohol because I couldn’t do my life (work, emotions, depression) no more either with alcohol in my life. But I’m sure I could get addicted to many different drugs too. Bottom line is I’m an addict. I want to be sober. I am sober now and very happy with that. I’ll take the occasional crave for what it is. And I’m not going to intoxicate myself no more, not forever as I see it now. Life is better for me sober.

5 Likes

Yep, Filling the gap aith healthy things can be great. Sometimes we are just addicts, to anything. But filling it with other drugs is what im weary of. Atm Im staying away from everything :slight_smile:

Congratulations on ur strength and yes, ur right, a clear mind brings a much better view of life x

1 Like

Personally I avoid all intoxicants. My doc is alcohol but I know me and I know if I found something else I ‘like’ I could to easily swap it for something else. Luckily for me as a nurse hard drugs have always scared me because of what I’ve seen them do to people so I’ve never been tempted ( thinking about that why doesn’t that work for alcohol?? I’ve seen that do terrible things too :thinking:) so it’s a definite no for all intoxicants from me.
There is no environment or occasion for me in which I could use my doc and not use it again so that’s definitely a reset for me and In my opinion I would say all drug taking is bad news even if people seemingly control themselves, anyone under the influence is not living their true life or being their true selves and that can only be negative in my mind. Drugs on prescription only for me :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Im pretty cautious of what i put into my body, because even legal prescriptions have gotten me back on the drugs or alcohol in the long run. Im also careful with things like sex & shopping because those have somehow lead me back to my DOC many times :sunglasses:
Most people would avoid all intoxicants who have long term sobriety but it comes down to different strokes for different folks !!

I dont view drugs and alcohol is a bad thing because they’ve helped a lot of people through the years. I just see that they have a different effect on me than other people. A negative effect. Drugs and alcohol made me who i ak today and wouldnt regret any of it because i personally have had a really amazing life at times while on it.

But for some reason nowdays, it never helps me anymore, drugs and alcohol ONLY hurt me now. Not sure when i crossed the invisible line, but for some (like me)… the line is very real and can be very costly if i choose to cross it.
Cheers
X

2 Likes

My DOC has changed over time and I do not trust myself to use any mind altering substances, therefore to me recovery means abstaining from all of them. As addicts I think we have a tendency to replace one addiction with another and this doesnt support healing.

6 Likes

Definitely avoid all intoxicants.
Alcohol has been my main thing for years but I’ve smoked pot since a teenager. In the 90’s I dabled in party drugs, E, coke, LSD, speed. Enjoyed it so much but over time and kids we drifted away from the scene. I carried on with pot until I gave up smoking.
Over the last couple of years we have been to a few parties and got high but it’s not stuck.
I did consider smoking pot to help with getting sober but just thought that I knew where it would lead so now I am totally clean of everything and will remain that way. And people on here advised against it so I listened!
That question is asked every couple of months and the response is usually the same.
Clean is clean, anything else is a down hill route.

4 Likes

I stay away from everything. But then again my DOC was more. If I take anything it’s a relapse.

I can only think of one person. He would use heroin once every 3 months or so. It was the weirdest thing. I’m pretty sure he didn’t smoke weed and I think I’ve seen him drink once. To this day I cannot wrap my head around it.

2 Likes