Sobriety is lonely

Hello I am almost 3 years clean from coke and meth. I’ve been doing decent but it’s been lonely as I have cut pretty much everyone out of my life to stay clean. My one support system is now over taking his medication and it scares me that one day it may become a trigger for me but they are the only person that understands what I have been through and where I am.

12 Likes

Thank you. Trying to stay strong!

2 Likes

Welcome Ashley to the community. Congratulations on your recovery. Stay engaged here on Talking Sober and keep reaching out. You will find a lot of like-minded people to connect with. It will help with the loneliness. :heart:

4 Likes

Hi, welcome.
Well done on 3 years.
Stick around on here, read a lot. There’s a lot a information that will help.
Have you not thought about help groups, NA/AA etc? Loads of like minded people in those rooms.

4 Likes

No one knows you better than you know yourself - if you think it might become a problematic trigger for you, then you should give that some serious consideration. 3 years is such an amazing achievement!

4 Likes

Congratulations on 3 years. Thats awesome. I’m a lil less than 5 months from 5 years clean from alcohol.
It does get lonely. All I do is work and then go home. I don’t socialize anymore. I feel safer but it does come at a cost. I’m still working on the introvert in me lol.

1 Like

This last two years I’ve actually had more of a life than I’ve had for years.
Ok, I don’t go to the pub anymore but that was boring anyway.
I’ve found a group of like minded people who don’t care if I’m sober or not, a lot of them are as well because they want to be, and we head to the hills. I could get out every weekend but I have to remember I have a family :joy:.
Life doesn’t have to stop. Just this morning I found a group on Faceache called Get Outdoors that is aimed at getting like minded people into the great outdoors.
It’s all a mindset.
Get out there and challenge yourself and change yourself.

2 Likes

Awesome job on three years of sobriety. Sorry that you feel so isolated.

I tended to isolated when I drank. I drank alone, mostly. Now, almost 3 years later, I am way more social, mostly because I attend martial arts classes several times a week. I’ve made some great friendships there, which have evolved into doing things outside of class. How did this happen?

We bonded over our mutual interest in combatives, and as we got to know each other better, we realized we had other common interests. Now we camp, get together to watch televised fights, go out to eat. I’ve helped them move couches, shared gardening tips.

Maybe look at getting involved in some sober activity, and get to know the people there? You just might make some new friends.

3 Likes

I remember the days of feeling alone in a crowded room. I made the mistake of telling myself I was "terminally unique " and no one would understand my dilemmas. Once I began calling people, reaching out and taking that step to communicate I started to grow. I became less alone and started to feel content and actually sober. When I say actually sober, I mean that I wasnt just existing and abstinent, I was happy and living life.
I’m so thankful you spoke up. It helps us all. I’m very happy you’re here.

3 Likes

Thank you all you have given me alot to think about and things to check out now. I think I’m just so lonely and isolated because my only support system is showing signs of a possible relapse and trying to chase that feeling I am lost now. I’m just pushing through and trying to take it day by day!

3 Likes

I cut ties with all my friends and family and I know the feeling of Loneliness…Then I found talking sober and it has helped me because I don’t have many ppl in my life besides at work.

2 Likes

That’s why I joined to help because I cut all ties with everyone but my family, and they don’t understand addiction. They think I should just be done and over it and be fine.

2 Likes

I think your doing great and I’m glad your aware of your thoughts and the bounties u have to see to protect yourself at times stay strong my love

3 Likes

Thank you im trying the best that I can, because I never want to go back to where I was. That’s why I opened up on here to read and talk and see if it can help and so far it has!

3 Likes

That’s awesome I just downloaded this because I’m trying to expand my sober contacts and if I can be there to help and support a sister or brother in.the losses that would be great opposite of addition is connection so that’s what it’s all about

1 Like

That was my thinking when doing this as well since my sober contacts is limited. And I also got to help people so far which was a great thing!

1 Like

Yeah that’s awesome I’m glad

It’s a life battle for us unfortunately…me and my younger sister are the only ones sober in my whole family

1 Like

I am at just under three and a half years sober and don’t talk to anyone but my mom and sister from my partying days.
I even left my husband I had at the time when I started my sobriety journey.
I’ve moved from Michigan to Chicago and started my life completely over.
I literally don’t talk to anyone anymore. Just my boyfriend and my sister. That’s it.
It can be kind of lonely which is why I come here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

It really is, just wish my family understood that and were more supportive

1 Like