Sobriety vs. Recovery

Through AA I’ve learned a lot. The first time I stopped drinking. I didn’t do it for myself. I did it for a relationship. I passed out drunk and woke up for my gf having a panic attack. She said it kept sounding like I stopped breathing. She was crying and hysterical. She told me that she didn’t want to watch me die. I embraced her, I soothed her. I told her I loved her and that I’d stop…and I did. I didn’t implement any kind of recovery program or AA. I knew that drinking was the problem and I wasn’t drinking anymore so…problem solved right? I stayed sober for about 3 1/2 years. I only drank on special occasions and it wasn’t much because my tolerance was gone. When the relationship went south…my sobriety went with it FAST! I hid it from her as long as I could and when she found out…she called me a piece of shit. She used it as an excuse to end the relationship. I downspiraled from there. I was enabled by a roommate. I then got involved with a heroin addict. No H for me but she was abusive and I started smoking meth to cope. I honestly didn’t mean for this post to be very long. But I’ll continue, as a result of the abusive relationship and the introduction of meth. I lost everything. My job, my car, we were at the brink of getting evicted and living with no water or electricity when I packed my things and went to live at a domestic violence shelter. That’s where I got clean and found recovery. I took that second chance and ran with it. I attended IOP and realized WHY I was drinking. Only then did I start feeling better. So with all that being said…I know everyone had their own program that’s worked for them. I go to celebrate recovery, I attend AA meetings, I go to church, pray, and read the bible, I have a sponsor and I’m one step away from finishing my 12 step study. What worked for you? What words of encouragement can we provide for the alcoholic or addict that is sober but still struggles and hurts?!

24 Likes

It’s always great to hear everyone’s journey out and what’s helped them along the way. Thank you for sharing this! Sounds like you have been through a lot and really worked hard on your new life :hugs::yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you. It has definitely been a long bumpy road. It’s responsible for making me the woman that I am today! :heart::facepunch:

6 Likes

Amen! With the right mindset, these obstacles faced are opportunities for growth and strength :muscle:

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more! :facepunch::blush::+1:

I’ve often feared that if my wife were to leave me or die or something crazy like that, I might spiral down into a binge that I might never return from. It’s a distant fear, but theres got to be some legitimacy to it.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing Jeanette, you are a strong lady!! :facepunch:

1 Like

There’s always some legitimacy to our fears whether it’s distant or not. I know I’m not perfect. I’m learning new coping skills. That doesn’t mean that I’ll never be affected by life events. That’s why I must stay vigilant in my recovery program. Life does and will happen. I just need to make sure that I’m ready to deal with it without running to my toxic old friend John Barleycorn…

1 Like

Thank you. Every now and then i think to how my life used to be and just think wow! Theres truly no going back for me. I can only move forward…

2 Likes

Nice share for me i was home at my first meeting and i started to recover been a great journey its been over three decades now and still getting better doing great buddy keep it up wish you well

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks. I wish you well too! :+1::grin::facepunch:

2 Likes