Sobriety while grieving loss of a child

I lost my beautiful boy 6 months ago. He didnt make it home from prison. He was almost out. I only have 6 days sober since he died. Im gonna do it for my boy!!! For me!!!

12 Likes

So sorry for your loss. As a parent, I can’t imagine the grief you are experiencing.

I used my mothers death as an excuse to relapse after 30 days of sobriety. I drank daily for 11 months, and to no surprise, I never woke up one day to the news she wasn’t really gone. No. The only thing I woke up to was a hangover,.and regret, and a disappointed wife and daughter.

Last March, my favorite uncle passed. This was the first major grief I faced sober. Yes, it hurt, but I was able to process it, and deal with it, and get through it.

Your son was coming up on a release from prison. A chance to start anew, and a chance at being better than he once was. He won’t get this chance.

But you can be better, and in doing so, you can honor his memory. Sober is better. Start here.

5 Likes

I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. :heart:

I hope you will stick around here and do some reading and posting. What a beautiful gift to yourself sobriety will be. Be gentle with yourself. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much, that means so much to here

Thank you friend

1 Like

No words to ever sooth the heart ache of loss of a child. Prayers to you. Lots of love from Missouri! :cowboy_hat_face::heart_eyes: your kid wouldn’t wanna see you sad and destroying yourself. Let him see greatness and and strength. As parents we strive to make our kids happy and feel loved, do it as if he never left, cause he hasn’t. He’s standing right next to you as we sit on our phones or sit and use or vices to cope to not feel our hurt. Do it for you, your spirit and your baby boy. Blessings to you love.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss :cry: It’s every parent worsed nightmare.
Hope he is your guardian angel right now :heart:

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. Stay strong.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear you’ve lost your beautiful boy. I understand your grief. My oldest son died of an overdose 1 year ago and it is a sadness I did not know existed.
I drank every day for 7 months following his viewing, until I’d had enough. Had to face my grief instead of trying to drown it.
Every day I still miss him. Every day I shed tears that he will not see another day to wake up and try again. Every day I am sober I am honoring my own grief by acknowledging it. Every day I am present for my other beautiful children and the memory of my beautiful son.
I wish you comfort and peace. :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your son, I can’t even begin to imagine how you must feel. Hugs :hugs::hugs: you are in my thoughts and prayers xx

1 Like

Im so sorry for your loss…
Do you want to talk about it?
We are here x

1 Like

So sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck with your journey for sobriety x

1 Like

Thanks so much for your story. Its so similar to mine. I wasnt a heavy drinker till my boy died. Yay, today im sober n have no desires to drjnk as of yet. My boy givws me so much strength. And God of course!!! Without God i couldnt have survived this. Thanks friend. Good luck to you

2 Likes

Just wanted to tell you I have 16 days sober today. Im doing it to honor my boy vs tarnish his memory and who he was.

1 Like

How are you doing?