Sobriety's Price of Admission

Everything has a cost; the price of admission. What is the price you will pay if you continue drinking or doing drugs? Your life is the ultimate price, but you will also pay with your job, your marriage or relationship, your family and your quality of life along the way. The price paid is not a question of if, but when.

You can stop payment on those checks today by choosing to fight for sobriety, but like everything else, sobriety has a cost for admission.

What is the cost you ask? It is different for everyone. It can cost as little as humbling yourself and asking for help, or the cost can be great like ending your relationships with your spouse.

No one can tell you what you will pay, but you will need to decide what youā€™re willing to pay. No matter what you end up paying, it is always worth it in the end.

So the question is, what have you paid so far for your sobriety?

16 Likes

I have paid nothing, and gained everything. Best return-on-investment one could hope for.

8 Likes

Great stuff! Itā€™s not a question of IF, but when is so spot on. When I started this thing I had a friend tell me that there are no old and happy alcoholics. Thereā€™s just not. We WILL lose everything eventually if we continue to drink. Period. The end. Fin :wink:

9 Likes

I paid with some friends that I had to leave behind. I also pay in sweat everyday when I enter the gym, like @Yoda-Stevie, I like the ROI on that.

1 Like

The cost of sobriety for me has included all the unpleasant feels of self doubt, boredom, uncertainty, intense vulnerability and the imminent threat of failureā€¦

3 Likes

My cost has included giving up some bedtime snuggles with my little boys so that I can go to meetings. That has been hard, but I have to remind myself that I am an exponentially better mother in the other 23 hours a day when I am sober.

9 Likes

The cost for me was if i didnā€™t enter i would lose my husband and children. It got so bad that after a night in jail it was sober up or lose us.

1 Like

The cost for me was my entire social life and social circle. At first the struggle with detox and the initial crazies made this something I didnā€™t really think about. My anxiety was so high that I couldnā€™t even fathom going out anywhere. Now at 499 days clean I absolutely LOVE my me time! I want to do so much with my free time that thereā€™s not nearly enough time in the day.

The people I left behind were not healthy in any way. My best friend, the one guy I always thought had it together (meaning, the most ā€œfunctional alcoholicā€ I knew) I now see is just hanging on like we all were. We were all going nowhere fast. I thought I was cool with that. Iā€™m absolutely not!

So yeah, I cut out a lot. I have zero regrets about it! I no longer go to the bar and have to hear that a friend of mine is in the hospital or died. I wouldnā€™t be alive today if I hadnā€™t done this. Iā€™m so happy I did!

9 Likes

My sobriety has cost me my job, I handed in my notice as a head chef to concentrate on my recovery from alcohol

3 Likes

Iā€™m only 40 days into this sobriety game, the longest Iā€™ve been sober since I was 11 & Iā€™m 37 now. I havenā€™t really paid too much of a price yet but things are starting to happen in my life that I suspect Iā€™ll have to make a decision on soon.
For my friends the novelty of me quitting drink has worn off & theyā€™re dropping the odd hint that Iā€™m ruining our relationshipā€¦ All a bit jokey at the moment but I see where itā€™s going. Itā€™s actually making me stronger though, Iā€™m starting to see what I had become in themā€¦ Trouble was I was much much worse when it came to indulging. I was their excuse to keep drinking and not feel guilty. Stay strong guys :heart:ļø:muscle:t3:

2 Likes

My perception was that the cost would be so great - unimaginable loses of friendship, family, self identity, ability to connect with others. It turns out that this was a fallacy. Not only was there no cost in those areas, but the benefits seem infinite.

3 Likes

I lost this truck.

Amen! This is the most common theme, the price we pay is all we can afford to lose. Itā€™s truely hard to see that in the beginning; the things we hold on to that have perceived value end up having no value at all. The ā€˜cold hard slap in the faceā€™ realization that you were wrong, itā€™s not always an easy pill to swallow, thatā€™s the real cost.

1 Like

Itā€™s kinda like in Indiana Jones and the last crusade when he steps off the cliff onto the invisible bridgeā€¦ The perception is certain death. The reality is safe and a path to eternal glory.

1 Like