Social anxiety after rehab

I just got out of a 3 month inpatient rehab for herion. Now most of the time if I go shopping or out to dinner I have bad anxiety and really just want to go back home especially if there’s alot of people. Is this normal? I think I was just so use to being with the same group of people everyday but I’m tired of this. How long will it last?

1 Like

I was off work for 5 months to get clean. I developed severe agoraphobia for those first two + months, only able to go to my treatment center. Had my neighbor get my cigarettes and groceries for me. The only thing that worked for me was exposure therapy. I started going to the store immediately after my IOP, and I would only be able to get one or two things at a time. Soon after I would stop and get take out food. The store trips became easier and I was able to stay longer. I was able to go and get take out at more places. I would intentionaly only get no more than half of the groceries I needed to I would be forced to go back more often. When it came time that I had to go back to work I was scared shittless, but I didn’t let myself think about it until the minute I walked in. It was fine.

Anxiety and drinking led me to become addicted to Xanax and Klonopin, and not having that help anymore really sucked. But I did it. I’ve made it.

Everyone’s journey is different, but I know this will pass for you. Just keep trying and your brain will train itself to handle it better. I don’t know it the anxiety goes away or we become champs at dealing with it, but I know it gets so much better and so much easier!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Totally normal…we used to act like this as addicts. We go out score go home and get high all day. Your dealing with the mental part of the drug now that the physical withdrawl should be gone. if not, close to gone by now. You would never think these drugs affect your mental status . It does as it masked our fears, anxiety and sadness. Your still gaining natural sleep. this is something our brains need to reset. The quality of sleep the last few months im sure have not been the best. It gets better! as @anon59060877 said about the 6 month mark is when u start to feel normal physically and mentally. Add another day!

1 Like