Sons and daughters with addiction

In my environment I found a lot of friends with sons and daughters who have started to be addicted to weed, alcohol and other drugs.
What you will advice to them, learning from your own experience?
What words or actitudes you think are better to show to these youngsters? Any Ideas or thoughts? Thank you so much

3 Likes

Thats a hard one. I dont know if there is anything you can say. Nothing sunk in about alcohol when I was young. Tell them your story of addiction and hope they get something out of it.

3 Likes

In germany where I live too. Nearly everyone drank alcohol at least a few times many get addicted to weed, and I see at school way too many young People aged as young as 14 indulging in mdma, amphetamines and mph/ritalin abuse, pretty terrifying.

1 Like

In a sense I feel lucky as my kids ages 11, 15 and 18 have all been to several of my AA meetings. They will be at my meeting in one week when I pick up my 2 year chip. While they may take some of the roads I traveled with alcohol or drugs, I feel they know they can turn to AA as I did. They know my friends in recovery and feel comfortable in the rooms. It does give me a sense of hope and relief that they know they can talk with me or find a meeting should they need one. These kids have seen me at my worst and have experienced having a sober dad for two years that they never had before. They know that they can depend on me now and I love being present for them. That’s just my experience. Thanks and best wishes my friends.

6 Likes

That’s so good to hear. I always cry when there are people’s kids at their anniversaries. It’s so powerful and such a strong and important reminder about the impact of this disease and the power in the journey. :bird:

3 Likes

I will cry like a baby as I share most of my story as the kids dont know all the details when I hit bottom two years ago. But i will cry for how I was and how things are now. I’m a lucky and grateful man. This is a great topic so thank you Bomdill.

3 Likes

Well said. Thank you. So eloquent.

1 Like

my two sons dont drink or smoke they seem not bothered with drink 24 and 22 now maybe its because they never experienced drink in the home ?

2 Likes

The best thing I am doing for that is leading by example and talking openly about it.

My son is 17. He has seen how I have lived in my past and he sees how I am changing things and living now. We talk extremely openly about things, he knows what havoc addiction has caused in our family and he’s at an experimental age. The fact that we can discuss this is HUGE to me because as much as my mom knew what I was doing at that age, it wasn’t discussed or discouraged. It was “normal” in my world. I want him to know it really isn’t “normal” at all and there is a different way to live. I do sometimes wish I had learned this sooner but I’m glad we can talk about it now. That’s all you can do, be open and approachable- the decisions though are really up to them. I just plan to be there to talk to and to love him no matter what. :heart:

2 Likes