Starting out / first days

Just keep swimming, friend. You said ‘No’ again today. That made you just a little stronger.

We sound very similar. I rationalize that I don’t have a drinking problem because I can go weeks without a drink but then binge all day watching football and be hung over for 2 days. I have only had 1 or 2 socially without overdoing and I fear missing those moments the most going forward with friends and family but I almost lost someone very dear to me during a recent binge and I know I’ve rolled the dice many times and have been lucky I haven’t killed myself or even worse someone else. So I finally realized at 53 that I need to grow up and just eliminate alcohol from my life. I know I have said mean things and acted like an asshole in front of my kids and I’m just sick and tired of wandering what I said to them and others when I binge like this. I know when sober I’m a pretty damn good Dad and role model and I need to be that way 24/7. Anyway, I’m on Day 2 but the real test will be this weekend. Hang in there and good luck to us all!

2 Likes

I’ll keep swimming… Got to and thanks.
Anglesea… Its a struggle, I’m lucky I’ve gotten away with it too, or jail. It just can’t go on mate… Its rotten being good and trying and being a good dad, I feel the same, only to destroy it all by going way way too far and becoming someone you’re not when you’re on it… I’m so extremely disappointed in myself. The weekend is going to be tough… For me too, big time.!! I’ll be on here and probably pulling my own teeth out and pacing the living room… But I’ll be doing it… The other choice if I don’t… Isn’t good… So plug onwards… Each day… And check in here and I will, if we can make it past one we can make it past another…

1 Like