Starting Over for the Last Time

I’ve gained 80 pounds in 2 years from my alcoholism and substance abuse. I ruined relationships, despite meaning well. I didn’t care about myself, self harm was daily. I took a whole bottle of xanax and drank nearly an entire bottle of vodka, and, whilst making the most idiotic decision of my life, got into a car, drove into a ditch in an effort to die. But here I am nearly 2 years later. Tried quitting for a bit. Relapsed. I don’t want to drink an entire bottle a night anymore. I don’t want to feel dependant. I don’t want to feel uncomfortable in my own skin. So here’s hoping that this will be my “before” picture, for good!

7 Likes

This is a wonderful first step! Welcome! There is a lot of good info on here. A program like AA, SMART ect helps alot as well. AA has kept me sober.

2 Likes

That’s a lot to take in and I’m happy to hear you’re recommitting to the process. As they say, you don’t say goodbye once, you say it over and over and over again.

As they also say, addiction thrives in isolation and dies in connection. Stay connected with those who are helping you and know your story. Reach out when needed.

Also, to echo what @anon34614660 mentioned, what’s the game plan?

2 Likes

Well I suppose I hadn’t thought of a game plan yet! I think I will treat it like some sort of game, because when I do that, I tend to be a lot more motivated and usually I win. :grin:

I’m an artist. Perhaps I’ll treat myself to nice new art supplies whenever I’ve reached a particular milestone. (I don’t like cheating either so that may help!)

1 Like

Art sounds awesome! I’m getting into calligraphy myself and it seems like it can be very immersive and therapeutic.

Good luck!

1 Like

Yes! Thank you!
Anything to keep my mind off the poison.

2 Likes

Lots of good things here. I hit reset yesterday. I made it through 24 hours. My days are easy because I work full time. It’s fighting my alcoholic brain at night. I live in a small town and really don’t like my meetings. However, I could drive and find other ones. I just live in Michigan where we have nasty weather! And apparently a lot of room for excuses not to go to meetings! I’ll read more after work. This site has been inspiring. Thank you all for sharing.

1 Like