Starting Sobriety

I was actually surprised how nice and receptive everyone was right away. Most of the friends I’ve had for awhile are ones that also drink a lot. When the girl asked for my number and another lady said we should have a sober get together one night, it felt really nice. Feeling some of the withdrawals, but reminding myself a change is needed.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve heard the first week is the hardest, so just trying to keep myself busy. Reminding myself of all of the hobbies I used to have and can pick up again. I’m a bit nervous about going to my boyfriend’s work party with him next week because it’s free, open bar. I definitely enjoyed it last year. One day at a time.

I’ve done all of that. I would even fill water bottles with rum or vodka, take it with me on nights out, and down extra in the car or restrooms. My closet is full of empty bottles and I was taking them one at a time with me to throw out at gas stations so they wouldn’t be seen in the recycling. I’ve realized on and off for awhile how out of control I let the addiction get. Honestly listening to everyone else with the same problem has been what I didn’t know I needed so badly. Since most people don’t feel the same thing with it, it’s hard to accept or explain that there is an issue. But I’m hopeful and plan on going to my second meeting tonight and keeping it up in general. One person said yesterday that they were there because they can’t stop by themselves and that hit me. It’s so hard to just stop when you feel alone and the shame that comes with alcoholism.

2 Likes

I really feel all of what you said. I’ve been honest with him here and there and even tried a few months ago to “keep it in view” and only drink when he was there. But a week later I was putting change together to buy $10 handles of vodka. The shakes are one of the worst parts of it for me and the insomnia. I’ve been having cravings, but trying to just keep myself occupied. I plan on going to another meeting tonight and keeping it up. I like your approach though and will consider. I was having stomach pain, headaches, shakes, everything last night. Like you said though, nothing that is worthwhile is easy. Thank you for the kind words :heart:

2 Likes