Starting this AA thing

I’m showering and then hitting my second meeting. I hear I’ll get a token today. I’m 34. Rarerlt ever drank until the past 2 years. 1-2 days a week binge drinking.

13 Likes

Hell yes. Have you had a peek at the AA book or the 12 steps and 12 traditions also?

I’m still fairly new to AA, but it’s done me a lot of good. The first couple meetings were awkward, but I mean… I didn’t have much idea what to expect. (Frankly, I didn’t care. They were doing/had something I didn’t, so I just gave it time.)

There’s a lot of healing there I never found trying to do things on my own. Not the least of which was the people themselves who were both wise and weirdly hilarious!

6 Likes

AA has changed me. I actually havent gotten a chip…I dont think I have ever said how many days I have been sober. Regardless, it is a great program

6 Likes

I did actually browse through some of it online when I googled what “big book” meant for the different meetings on the schedule they gave ne last night. I’m going to try a couple different ones at different times to see where I best fit. I’m not even remotely religious, so I’m looking to find some like minded people to find a sponsor that won’t tell me to pray about it. I think that will annoy me more than help me. But the women who helped me last night were so wonderful and on the back of my schedule I found 22 phone numbers! Lol!

4 Likes

Yeah. By and large there’s a lot of hang up on the religious part. I prefer “higher power” to “god” in speaking. The folks I met there are respectful of that, many not having what I’d call a religious God themselves.

My sponsor has the Christian God but makes genuinely clear he doesn’t care if I believe in a tree in the park or the flying spaghetti monster, so long as I accept there’s something greater than me. That doesn’t tickle everyone the same way, but I had definitely fallen into thinking I’m a much bigger deal than I really am. So finding something greater has lifted a lot of weights (when I can manage it :laughing:).

4 Likes

AA doesn’t work for everyone but it did for me. I’ve met some awesome people. I’ve also been able to give back and help others by being in the program. That is one of my favorite parts.

3 Likes

Got my first chip! When I saw the Shakespear quote I felt much better about it. I shall pray to Billy Shakes for now.

10 Likes

Tonight’s was a big book meeting and we read I’m an alcoholic? Chapter. My life the last year. I think a lot of why I had such a hard time accepting that I’m an alcoholic is because the way we’re depicted in movies and television: drinking all day every day and such. It was nice to hear a story so similar to mine during the reading and discussion after.

5 Likes

I believe we all have the same story but the particulars are slightly different.

2 Likes

As I sat there and listened to people in the beginning, I had trouble finding a factually similar story to mine in how it went down. Not that I was unique. Rather, my story was spread out across bits and pieces of people (for me that turned out to be a good thing).

What I realized from that was that the feelings I felt drinking were the same feelings others had and allowed me to connect with them no matter their story. It showed me that I wasn’t alone and that everyone had something that could help me stay sober today.

3 Likes

Get it, girl! Going to AA was one of the hardest things I have ever done - and perhaps the very best. I just saw this and you have probably already gone to your meeting. I’ll just say that working the steps, for me, has been life changing in the best of ways. I’m so glad you are going.:heart:

3 Likes

Love this! So glad you went.

3 Likes

3rd meeting in 3 days!

5 Likes

Heyooooohhhhhhh!! Great to hear pal!

2 Likes

Awesome!

Now a little piece of advice … don’t listen to that little voice that will soon tell you that “you don’t need to go because you have this under control”.

I believed that voice and it was a liar!

You already did the hardest part by walking through the doors, keep up the good work :slight_smile :grinning::+1:

3 Likes