Starting to thing I can become a casual drinker?

Hello it has been 6 months and I stoped on my own basically besides reading a lot went to one aa meeting. I’m starting to thing That I can become a casual drinker because I can enjoy just a couple non alcoholic beers and not want anything else do u guys think it will be ok? I defently don’t want to go back to who I was before and just drinking every day

2 Likes

Your are basing this on your being able to drink non alcoholic beers bit not wanting the real thing? I’m sorry but that just sounds flawed. Not everyone had to go to AA every day to stop and not everyone end up homeless these are just preconceptions that keep people addicted for longer. I have to ask you why you felt the need to join this app and stop drinking in the first place, I’m guessing that your drinking must have been bad enough for you to want and need to stop.
If you take the time to read around this forum then you will find that these thoughts are very common and almost everyone has had them at some point.
I would advise against even trying as you will soon end up back at the level you were at, worse in fact and it will happen quickly in afraid. :frowning::frowning:

9 Likes

I mean if you’re taking about alcohol and not na beers I would say it’s probably not a good idea. That’s your call though. Since you were an everyday drinker let me ask you something. When you were actively drinking when did you did you ever just have one or two? I’m betting not often. From what I’ve seen most if not all go back to the way they were drinking If not worse. Again, only you can make that call…

2 Likes

No. I don’t think you can be normal drinker. I think this is a typical stage people go through in the recovery process but once a “pickle you can never be a cucumber again.” You think you have control but you won’t and drinking two non-alcoholic beers does not flip the switch like a regular beer would. Most people who relapse fall further into the abyss. Think of all your horrible drinking episodes. Do you want to return to those days when you were an ass or do you want to continue to feel good and proud of yourself and wake up in the morning with no sickness, no guilt and grateful for the sunshine and the coffee?

8 Likes

This is what your posted on the first of may, do you not remember, that’s ok think of this as a helpful reminder. Do you really want to risk losing your wife and children? :+1::slightly_smiling_face:
@Mike_Jannetty just a little food for thought for you. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

I think for me this was a trap every time. I quit several times over the years and each time I picked up, I drank more and spiraled out faster. And each time I tried to put it down it got harder until I couldn’t.

So I know I have another drink in me but I dunno if I’ve got another recovery.

Six months is tremendous and a tough thing to set aside. But that’s all me and you are you.

What is it you think you’re missing? How have things changed since getting sober?

If ya don’t wanna go back, then count your blessings and don’t go back. You’re doing great!

10 Likes

Last time I talked myself into thinking I could drink like a gentleman lead me to eight years of unnecessarily beating my head into the same old brick wall.

Famous last words for many. I am lucky!

16 Likes

I sucessfully drank non alcoholic beers for nine and one half years before i decided a real one would be fine.

It wasnt.

20 Likes

I never heard that before. Love it. So true.

4 Likes

The first drink starts the downward spiral, no matter how slow or fast, it is still down and no good will come if it

4 Likes

@anon13078412 He is right. Do you want to risk everything over a non alcoholic beer? I personally wouldn’t because a spouse and children are way more important than that casual thought. Try doing a couple of meetings per week because you need the support of others going through the same as you. I wish you all the luck in your recovery.

3 Likes

@ReneeAnn I was under the impression that he would like to start drinking real beer again because he has been able to drink na beer without being tempted.
These thoughts are incredibly common I have literally read of hundreds of people having these thoughts all-over this forum. It happens to most of us i think. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nope. Bad idea.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone gues I just needed people to kick my ass just was one of those days I suppose

16 Likes

Turning a problem drinker back into a casual drinker is like turning a pickle back into a cucumber. Science may one day accomplish these, but it hasn’t done so yet

4 Likes

Just it’s so hard sometimes not having family around

Surely your relationship with family would only get worse if you were to start drinking again buddy, you may even lose them altogether. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s what my wife told me when I was a heavy drinker thanks gues I just need to hear from other people just sometimes it’s hard I am a truck driver but home daily just that it’s hard with no family besides my own but I gues it’s all I need

2 Likes

Still not happy with my career I gues too but I been doing it for 6 years now and my kids r still young

1 Like

How old are you m8 if you don’t mind me asking. If your not happy with your job I imagine that given time you can find something that you will be happier with but your working and supporting your family, there are many people unable to find good work and do the same for their families so it has its plus side.
As I said in one of my earlier posts from reading on here I have learned that when one goes back to drinking they usually end up way worse than before and with a driving job that can be incredibly risky.
Do you know the serenity prayer? That could be applied here. You are sober, you have a wife and children and you have a job, things could be worse bud but you are capable of improving some things it will just take time, as your are aware though drinking will not benefit you in any way. You are also likely experiencing some milestone funk, the six months milestone is a tricky one. :+1::+1::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes