Staying sober when your life feels out of control

Last year at this time my mom was in the middle of chemo for stage 4 ovarian cancer. She has been in remission for the last 7 months. On Tuesday she was admitted to the hospital, and 2 hrs ago I just found out it is back and terminal. My employer is amazing, she is a huge reason for me getting sober. She is pressuring me to go home now and see my mom, but I am in the middle of moving next week, and to be honest, work keeps me grounded. I am hanging on to my sobriety by my fingernails. The more out of control I feel, the more I want to drink. I have an amazing sponsor who is in constant contact with me, so that is a positive. I just needed to vent :worried:

1 Like

Im so sorry to hear this. :frowning: Thinking of you. Go see her if you can and soon. Hugs

1 Like

Thatā€™s so sad. Thinking of you x

1 Like

Well thatā€™s very bad news. You want to escape from this, I know, but hold tight to your sobriety. There isnā€™t a drug in this world that can make You feel better at a time like this. Be with your mom if you can, hold her tight and be present with her. You wonā€™t want any more regrets to remember when you think of this time in your lifeā€¦āš˜

2 Likes

I am so sorry you have this burden to bear, right now. Losing my Ma was what I used as my excuse to relapse for 11 months. Itā€™s a blessing to have a supportive employer and others who can stand beside you in the storm.

This is 100% up to you, as I feel how we face grief and impending loss is very much an individual thing, and I donā€™t know what your relationship with your Mom is, so take this for what its worth: Cherish these last days with her. You canā€™t get them back. When I was crawling into a bottle of Red, bottle of White, it was as much because of the fact that when I left home to serve in the Marines, I avoided going home, and when I was home, I kept the visits with my Ma to the shortest minimum I could. Even after I got out, I still held to the same practiceā€¦and after she was gone, I regretted this. It was guilt as much as grief, that I sought relief from.

Again, I donā€™t know a thing about your relationship. Just passing along what I went through. Iā€™m just sorry you are going to have to face this loss, and pray that you handle it better than I did.

2 Likes

My mom is actually my best friend. And when she was going through chemo this time last year, I was drinking the entire time :disappointed:

These are difficult times and i feel for you. Sobriety will be helpful at this time.

1 Like

Then thereā€™s not a moment to waste then, drinking.

Not nearly on the same level, but I believe the sentiment is the same. What made me really sit up and take a hard look at myself, was so simple, and yet so powerful. My good wife looked at me one morning and said ā€œYou know, your little girl hugs you every night before she goes to bed. She says ā€œI love you daddyā€. You donā€™t know that, because you are passed out. I know you miss your mom, and you feel guilty about the times you didnā€™t spend with her, because it was a painful reminder of how her alcoholism and mental illness affected your childhood. How many hugs do you have left in your life, from your little girl?ā€

I am a hard man, emotionally. Some would call me stoic. I wept at the thought of this. Hell, Iā€™m getting a tear right now, just typing this. How many hugs do you have left? I donā€™t know, but Iā€™m not going to miss a single one of them.

Praying for you.

5 Likes

I am so, so sorry to read this news. I drank my way though my husbandā€™s treatment for stage IV colon cancer. I totally understand wanting to drink when life feels out of control. Please keep checking in here and venting. I have to believe that sadness and anger are better than artificial numbness. Thinking of youā€¦

1 Like