Staying sober without AA

I think like a lot of things, what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another and as long as what people are doing works for them, we are all good! The fab thing about this community is that folks just seem to find the right words to support each other no matter what path we are taking on our recovery journey :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I just downloaded The Naked Mind. I don’t know if it’s free or not but I googled The Naked Mind pdf and it said PDF The Naked Mind. I clicked the link and downloaded it for free

1 Like

Might just be the first 40 pages - those are a free download @Mester.

1 Like

Yes! I’m starting chapter 7 tonight. I took the advice the author gives to just read a couple chapters at a time and let it sink in. I really can’t believe how helpful it’s been.

2 Likes

No. I have 256 pages

1 Like

Has anyone read the AA big book? It’s more than not drinking. It’s personal growth…no where does it say it’s the only way to stay sober, there’s a chapter to agnostics explaining the higher power part, the steps are for dumping old baggage, getting rid of resentments, making amends to people we hurt…becoming a better person in society. Even if you don’t like the meeting idea, at least check the book out…it explains a lot. I use it along with many resources to stay sober.
I question everything and not just follow like sheep. I know what works for me and what doesnt. I come from a family of recovering alcoholics and addicts…I’ve seen firsthand the beauty that comes from sobriety and the wisdom obtained.

22 Likes

Well said @Oliverjava!
I believe one can become physically and psychologically addicted to alcohol… but to submit to this as a “disease” is not something I will accept for myself. Just the opposite gives me willpower! I am NOT powerless when it comes to alcohol. I choose to not drink because when I do drink it inhibits my cognitive abilities and my “just have one” sense the same as it does with everyone else’s physical brain!! I choose to work through my psychological issues that make me want to drink in the first place. Those issues are what make it even harder to stop at one when you have chemicals in your brain telling you you’re happy and make you want more.
If submitting to a drinking problem as a disease helps someone overcome their struggle than more power to them! But it’s just not something that would work for me.
I use hobbies, healthy foods and time with my family to replace those happy chemicals alcohol was tricking my brain with.

8 Likes

I went to tons of meetings my first sober year. Didn’t enjoy the feeling that I “must” share my story. Haven’t been to a meeting in over four years and I’m still rocking my sobriety!

17 Likes

I agree as far as smoking is concerned. I smoked for 28 years and stopped 6 years ago. I don’t feel like a smoker at all now. I know some people crave forever but for me it’s as if I had never smoked. I’m hoping for the same result with alcohol but I’m only 6 days clean. Time will tell…

1 Like

If it’s not for you I wouldn’t go. It sounds like (at least from these posts) that people can be successful without it. Only you can know what works for you.

5 Likes

I don’t go to AA either. Have tried it, but it was not for me, for similar reasons already described. However, I do get support. Once a week I have a meeting with a coach who is an expert by experience and I get additional guidance online. I find it keeps me focussed, as does this app and reading everybodies thoughts and opinions.

2 Likes

Steve you are quite right, if it works for you it works. Each person deals with their demons in their own way. The most important thing is to Deal with your demons and you are so hang in there

2 Likes

Thanks. That was helpful. I’m new to this. Trying an app for the first time. Hope I can reach as many days as you have some day. I know my children would be so happy if I could. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went a lot the first 3 to 6 months, then cut back to weekly or less. After summer, I only went once and it was October in Mexico, the house I was staying in had a lot of alcohol use. I’m an introvert and going places takes a lot out of me, which takes away energy from other improvements I’ve made since quitting. However, I am Facebook friends with 6 of the people I met, and still like to go to campouts and activities.

1 Like

Thank you. This was bet helpful!

What ever keeps you sober is good for me AA saved my life the internet was young in those days mobile phones were the size of brieifcases , wish everyone well

5 Likes

I’ve been sober from alcohol for 434 days now and I’ve never been to a single AA meeting this time around. The first time I got sober I was in treatment for 30 days and you have meetings that are basically AA/NA in house. I relapsed about 7 months later and ended up in jail in drinking and driving. I don’t even rememeber what caused me to relapse it just kind of happened all the sudden it seemed.
So after that I really focused on just staying busy and trying not to think about it. Now 434 days later there isn’t a day that goes by that I want to drink. I spend a ton of time outdoors fishing and spend little time on my phone because I just feel it’s more of a burden than anything. I’m 27 and would much rather be outdoors than inside watching tv just wasting time haha. For me it just became easier as time went on. Sure I wanted to drink from time to time when I quit the second time but it’s almost normal to have those feelings. You just have to overcome them and really focus on staying sober.
I know for a fact that if I drink again I’ll end up in prison, a mental institution or dead. Those places don’t offer fishing nor do you get to go do whatever you want when you want. That alone is my drive to stay sober. I also go to the gym 5-6 times a week since that’s another escape I have. There’s plenty of things to keep yourself busy, you just need to find which ones work for you and don’t seem like a chore or a hassle.

10 Likes

The meetings have value to me because isolation is one of my triggers. But the program was created in the 30’s by two people who didn’t know about psychology and brain chemistry like we do today, and the only alternative at the time was the mental institution. AA hasn’t changed since 1939, yet some zealots maintain it’s the only way to stay sober.
Everyone has their own path to sobriety. If yours doesn’t involve AA, don’t feel pressured into it. Best wishes!

7 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement. This is my day one.

2 Likes

AA is generally referred to as the last house on the block bc people who end up there have usually tried getting sober on their own and we’re unable to do so. Though the program is designed for anyone who thinks they have a problem with drinking, it can be very beneficial for a severe alcoholic like myself. If you can quit drinking on your own that’s definitely awesome. But if you keep relapsing and don’t know why then maybe AA can give you some answers.

AA saved my life. I am most definitely powerless over alcohol bc when I have that first drink I am not able to stop. I started drinking when I was 10 and I have never been able to do it safely and I never will. I’ve tried all different types of programs/books/rehabs and each of them have plusses and minuses. The only bad thing you can do is nothing.

For those of you on the fence about AA I suggest you at least check it out for yourself. Don’t let someone else form your opinion for you. Reading through this thread I saw a lot of disinformation and outright falsities. If you go and decide it’s not for you that’s fine, at least you know. But if you shun it without even trying it you could be depriving yourself of something great and not even know it.

16 Likes