Step work and relapsing

I often see people return to step one once they relapse , I just feel you will never finish all 12 steps if you start at step one each time you relapse , you will probably never reach step 4 and because of that, you’ll continue relapsing while reciting step one like nursery rhymes.

1 Like

If you work them properly you should have the tools to avoid relapsing, that is what the intentions of the program are.

Sticking as close as possible to your sponsor is vital and it has to be taken seriously. If you relapse, you haven’t fully taken in the meaning of step 1 so it is important to revisit it in my opinion. When we drink, we flick the switch, turn on the cravings and the mental obsession and this is where the powerless statement has real meaning, as those cravings and mental obsessions can and likely will take over.

I have worked the steps once from start to finish, have avoided relapsing, now I work 10, 11 and 12 daily with no intentions of ever going back to 1 - 9. If I did relapse, I know I’d have to.

5 Likes

10,11,12,in my life to and working the program for over 31+years now plenty of excuses to drink but no Reason most of the guys i have sponsored have went on to have afruitfull soberiety relapse free life but its just for the day wish you well

4 Likes

Are you all referring to 12 steps in Celebrate Recovery?

1 Like

not positive about the original post but I know the two replies are referring to the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous :slight_smile:

I agree with @NewPerspective on this one. I’ve stopped counting the number of times I’ve started over, but I can say I hear something different each time I’ve done it. Of course, I’ve heard people say that when you treat the steps like milestones, you’re bound to forget them and the steps are intended to be part of a new life that are lived out continuously.

Just my opinion and I do not claim to be an expert.

I am on step six and I do work steps on my own from big book and 12 by 12 …willingness is a key…