Stress and the craving to drink

The last 27 days that I’ve been sober have been relatively stress free. Not working, on holidays and haven’t been going anywhere really or dealing with stressful situations. Until today.
Something happened and I’m having trouble dealing with it, I just want a drink. Over and over I’m thinking What’s the point in stopping drinking if things are shitty anyway? How do I deal with stressful situations without alcohol? I just want to cry and never leave my bed.

8 Likes

Hi, 27 days is sooo good. Congrats on that.

Not drinking doesn’t mean that life will be shiny and only sunny. With every problem you will resist to drink, you will get stronger and you will be able to solve these problems.

Feelings on the other side are not forever. They come and go. I cemented my feelings on the lower side for years.

2 Likes

Great job on 27 days :clap::clap:
That’s awesome. And it’s hard work. Your doing it. Do you really think things will be better drinking? Then tomorrow feeling like shit. Throw in a side of shame cuz you really want to be sober. Because your worth it. There is a special stress just for us lucky people trying to be sober when we reach a milestone. Lucky us huh? You’re coming up on 30 freakin days with out a drink :scream: that’s probably the hardest hump to get over. Do you know how proud your going to feel when you get there?
Just don’t drink today. See what happens. One day. Today. That’s all you got to do.

Stress. Power walk it off. I use to use my angry rapper music to walk my ass off the first few months. Cuz I was pissed off I couldn’t drink like a normal person. Meditation? I use the Breethe app. It’s great for guided meditation. All you have to do is listen to it. It will guide you. Long hot showers a couple of times a day. Breathing is always good for immediate stress relief. Focus on in hale and exhale long and slow just for a few minutes.
You can do it and you’re worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

And…you made it through the Holidays without drinking?? You rock!! I would not want to throw all that work away. Hang in there. You can do it.
Keep checking in.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Sober holidays for the win! You know, I have spent many a day on my sober journey not leaving my bed and crying it out. I have no regrets because I still chose not to drink after it all and ended up with a sense of relief like no other. If that’s what it takes, do it. Know that you are not alone, though, and it is okay to feel your feelings. I’m rooting for you and sending tissues and a cool wash cloth for your eyes and a big hug. Hang in there.

3 Likes

I found journaling my feelings helps. Talking with another alcoholic or addict, like you’re doing here, helps. Like it was said previously brisk walks when cravings come helps. Shit, putting a puzzle together, reading, writing a letter to yourself about how proud you are of you. The drink does nothing but make us sicker and further reinforce our disease. Hugs to ya.

1 Like

You know what I do when I feel that way - i remember the worst experiences I have ever had on my drug of choice. Then I compare that to my current situation, and realize that if I fall back into using, I will be right back where I was - overdosing, having seizures, wrecking my car, getting arrested…

It can only make things worse, and it isn’t even a solution to your current problem. It won’t fix your sorrow and anguish, it will only cover it up, and that only for a short while. It isn’t worth it.

I never thought of doing that. I’m going to give that thought process a try along with a journal to be able to accurately look back on my ups and downs.

1 Like

I think that is a good idea :nerd_face:

On a side note - you have a gnarly beard sir.

1 Like

Thank you, ma’am…lol

2 Likes

I am100% am in agreement. Love the beard @Almosctcool

1 Like