Stress while sober

I hate that when stressed I simply think of that drink.

32 days alcohol free- urges were bad at first and got less with time

Well today boom stressful situation with my son and school, basically he got suspended :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. First thing I wanted to do was hit that LQ. I didn’t :pray:, i walked around my neighborhood and cried it out.

But still a piece of me wants that numb, that I dont want to deal, like drinking has some magic power of taking it away (which it doesn’t).

Proud I didnt drink, but feel horrible that was my first thought of dealing.

8 Likes

32 days is awesome! Your doing great!

We ran to the bottle for comfort for so long that it an instinct. Dont feel bad.

Feel proud! You didn’t act upon it. instead you came here and vented. That always makes those kinds of thoughts less powerful for me. You’ve increased your chances of going to bed sober, and successfully making it to day 33.

Each time we do that we get a little stronger. When those cravings hit, they get easier to shoot down because we have successfully stayed sober through other cravings.

6 Likes

Thank you
Your reply has helped :pray:

1 Like

Your brain has been saying “yes” to that drink (just like my brain) for so long it is our default coping skill.
@JasonFisher is right, each craving beat is another small win and a chance to start retraining your brain!
Way to say “no” to that drink instead!

4 Likes

I hear this a lot and I think it’s true “You are not responsible for your first thought. You are responsible for the second one, and for the first action”.

Like me, you think like an alcoholic. And like me, you are thinking like a recovered alcoholic. You are doing great! And that school situation that stressed you out? Believe this, it’s a fundamental truth in my life - every little thing is gonna be alright.

1 Like

:heart: this
Thank you

But you didn’t take a drink. That’s huge. You did good and should be proud of that.

1 Like