Strong cravings right now

I’m having strong cravings right now and I could use anyone’s advice. Please and tia!

1 Like

Do you have a list of why you dont want to use your doc? Treat yourself to a tea or soda. Take a shower. Or we are here if you want to vent!!

4 Likes

How about a meeting?
Or
Meditation ?
These are powerful for me to stop cravings.
It’s really good you have came here for support :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I do have list! I just trying to redirect myself right now

3 Likes

It’s just hard to do either 1of these things because my 2 kids are fighting, ugh

2 Likes

I like to think on the positive side and think. If I just keep not picking up a drink and a drug for 24 hours at a time. Then I will keep making progress, physically, mentally, and spiritually and get farther and farther away from the shit feeling of being in active addiction. Having that hope that it will absolutely get better if I just don’t pick up has really helped keep me on the right path. I did not have any hope several months ago when I hit my jumping off point in my active addiction. I got to a point where I couldn’t see my life with it or without it. Sitting here today. That feeling has changed, and it changed in big part to just staying away from that first drink or drug, for 24 hours at a time. The rest falls into place if you put effort into your recovery, to learn, grow, and change. Change is key. Change starts right now, with not choosing to pick up. Pick up something that would help you in your recovery, some recovery literature maybe, or something for self care? Anything is better than continuing the cycle of active addiction. Hold strong, you got it. :+1:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

7 Likes

This was me earlier this evening on the way back from taking my daughter to the park. My brain was giving me every excuse under the sun to drink…. “Life is so boring without booze…. You’ve gone 4 days, your problem isn’t that bad…… you’ll drink again eventually, might as well now…”

Just remind yourself of the reality. How miserable being under the influence is in the long run. How much better you will feel if you can just get through today and wake up tomorrow sober.

Do whatever you need to do to distract yourself. You know what happens when you take your DOC, try your hardest to resist!

6 Likes

How old are the kids ?
Mine are 20 and 14.
I’m not sure of your DOC but here is an online meeting for AA (mine is alcohol)

24hrs day and night zoom meeting.
You can just put earphones in turn your audio off and camera and just listen.

When my kids where younger I had to be out early in the day or it would get hectic on no school days. Then by the afternoon they were ready for lunch and exhausted.

2 Likes

Thank you, I think I’m gonna try a soda! Also gonna TRY to read!

2 Likes

They’re 4 and 8 and my doc is alcohol. I think I’m gonna try to read my Bog Book a little

2 Likes

What I also did which really helped when I first started this journey, was I bought a huge box,
( 300 pieces) of my favorite candy, blue sour belts. when I had the urge to drink I would eat 5 or 6 of those and drink some of the seltzer waters and other cool drinks I was buying and that usually would get me through. The worst thing that would happen after doing that was my tongue would be blue haha. That’s way better than any of the bullshit I used to get myself into when I would drink. :man_shrugging::rofl:

2 Likes

Excellent advice I’ve gotten from many friends here.

‘Play the tape forward’ What will happen if you give in and drink, how will you feel later about it. Will you be able to stop? What about your kids?

I’ve learned also, it truly is one day at a time ODAAT, sometimes one minute, one hour. Say to yourself, I won’t drink today. Don’t worry about the future. Please stay strong, you can do this!

4 Likes

I agree with this… getting out is the best. Change the scenery, get some fresh air. It works wonders for all ages. Kids might stop arguing if they get distracted away from whatever they are arguing about. My children are 9 and 6 and even just a run around the garden is great for us all. I’m only 6 days sober but I use this technique even when I was drinking to distract us all from arguments

5 Likes

If your picking up the big book may I suggest reading chapter 11 a vision for you? Might give you a glimpse of a better life right around the corner waiting for you!

3 Likes

That sounds like a good idea, if that helps to read the big book.

I’m not sure where you are in the world or what time is it. Here its midnight. But if your abke to get out with the kids and read the book at the park maybe? Either way I believe in you, and glad you reached out here. I know you will do what you know works for you.

Were here if it doesnt get easier today :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hello, write down what you did 5 minutes ago and how you feel right now. Document every time you have a craving so you can learn what creates them and learn how to mitigate them. Maybe go for a walk too, anything to pass the craving. Hang in there you can overcome this.

4 Likes

Having treats on hand is an excellent idea as @TwoWolves967 mentioned. Reward yourself often, every time you don’t drink is a success!

4 Likes

I’m gonna try that chapter!

3 Likes

I’ve been throwing the headphones on and listening to an episode of the recovery elevator when cravings get bad.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! I’ve been taking care of the laundry, which was a nice redirection

3 Likes