Struggled to sleep for 3 hours

Any thoughts on an easier sleep it was awful but am not giving up especially not with the help of you guys !

2 Likes

I always find it a struggle to stay asleep too. It’s always worse when I have been drinking. I’m hoping that once I have kicked the alcohol it will become better and I won’t have that horrible “floaty” feeling that I experience most days. Keep going!

1 Like

Is this new, or something you’ve struggled with for some time.

It is common for those in early sobriety to have trouble sleeping initially, and it’s common for perfectly healthy people to have nights where they have trouble falling asleep.

I am a master-sleeper. I’m usually out a minute or two after closing my eyes. Sometimes I fall asleep half way through my nightly prayer. Even I have a restless night every now and again.

The best tip I can suggest is to have a “sleep routine”, a nightly ritual that signals the body that bedtime is approaching. Lay down at the same time every night. Do things that clear the mind, or at least distract it from the events of the day. I read. Before I do, I write down what I have to do for tomorrow. It’s there on the paper. No need to think about it. I don’t eat after 7pm. Nothing sweet or sugary after 5pm. My nightly martial arts training usually leaves me fatigued. A hot shower right before bed. I get up at the same time every day, even on weekends (4:15am).

Be mindful of your routine. It works for kids. No reason why it can’t work for adults.

Melatonin, tiger balm, humidifier with lavender, turn off all electronics, read a book…

2 Likes

Melatonin has helped me sleep thru the night for the last few days. I got gummies at the pharmacy and take the an hour before I go to bed

1 Like

I just posted around 3 weeks ago about this struggle. The second week sober was the most difficult for me regarding sleep. This all seems to be a pretty “normal” experience when getting sober. There’s a great app, Insight Timer, that is free and has thousands of mediations, many of which are helpful for sleep. Practicing good sleep hygiene is important (https://www.sleepassociation.org/about-sleep/sleep-hygiene-tips/). Avoiding ANY screen time 2 hours before bed is really important. My experience is that it gets better… Just have to ride it out. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Am going to try night nurse seen some really good reveiws on it only gonna try it for the week hopfully that will help anythings possinle a guess …

What do you lovely bunch think?