Struggling idk what to do

I’m really struggling and I feel my “partner” doesn’t have the faintest clue how hard I’m struggling and I feel like it’s no big deal, just another day… I’ve had a talk with him and he says he’s supportive of my decision but that’s about as far as it’s went…
I hope others get more support than I’ve received from anyone other than my counselors and you guys.
All I wanna do is just forget it all and quit but I’m not…
just been so hard and I’ve almost made it one week, how do I get past this…

10 Likes

I can tell you, no matter what happens, if you stay sober, everything is going to be alright. I keep a clipping pinned to my freezer with a magnet, a sentence from a newspaper article that I don’t even remember what it was about or who said it. “This is all going to turn out just fine”, he said. “It’s just different from what I’m used to.”

15 Likes

Congratulations on your 6 days Foxy.
We know how hard you been working. Celebrate here. My wife still drinks. It makes it difficult but she does support my sobriety. So I got that going for me. Be she’s gonna drink. She thinks I quit pretty easily. It helps me to be around people that understand.

I started a thread about it. Someone might have already pointed you in that direction.
But here it is again.

Come on over. Check it out. Join in or just read.

I go to Al-Anon meetings and it’s doing wonders for me.

We got your back. And we will be happy to celebrate your hard work anytime. We know what it’s like.
:pray::heart:

8 Likes

I haven’t seen this thread yet but I will check out. Thank you :pray:

5 Likes

I go by bob Marley words “don’t worry about a thing, because every little thing gon be alright. :purple_heart:
Thank you for your kind words

7 Likes

IMG_1696

3 Likes

I think if you are not an addict yourself you do not understand where the other person is going trough. That’s why I’m here for one of more reasons. My partner is glad I do not drink anymore but really doesn’t understand how hard it was to quit. And explaining it to others is like speaking in riddles :exploding_head:
So keep sharing your thoughts here and celebrate your milestones. Almost a week in your pocket! That is so great! Keep going Foxy :muscle:

6 Likes

Thank you so much. And I totally agree :100:

Congrats on your almost a week Foxy. Yeah, it is truly hard with a partner who wants to be supportive and maybe doesn’t know how. Infuriating if we let it be really. It was a challenge for me to truly get that I alone was responsible for my drinking …it certainly didn’t help being around others who were drinking…but in the end, it was and is 100% up to me if I drink or not. I fought against that for a long time, believing it was impossible to stop when he drank in front of me. But eventually, I realized this was my battle and it actually made me that much stronger and that much prouder as the days added up. You can do this Foxy. You are doing this!! Believe in your self. You have more power than you know and once you tap into it, you can overcome anything. So glad you are here with us. :sparkles::boom::100::people_hugging:

Ps…I put myself to bed early A LOT in early sobriety, just to remove myself from the situation. Took long baths or showers. Went for walks. Hit the gym. Whatever it took to get some space. :heart:

4 Likes

I’m chipping in to say you are not alone, and I also live with someone who never understood how hard it was for me to quit drinking. Cuz he’s addicted himself. So I echo what @Dazercat and @SassyRocks have said. Stay connected here, it helps!! Sending you :people_hugging::people_hugging:

3 Likes

The other day, I went for a bike ride. I’m in my mid 40s, I’m over weight and out of shape. Riding a bike is not something I am used to. Near the end of my ride, the only thing between me and my home was a long hill. I started up the hill. My legs quickly began to burn, but I pressed on. Soon, I was fatigued and running out of steam, but I was determined to get over this hill. I started thinking about how hard it was, and how much more hill was in front of me, that really took the wind out of my sails. I wanted to stop and rest, I begged myself to stop, but something in me wouldn’t let me. So I bargained, I said I will get to that mail box up ahead, then rest. When I got to the mail box, I said just get to that telephone pole, then to that drive way, then to that crack in the side walk… next thing I knew, I was on the top of the hill. It was hard and my body hurt, but I did it, because I stopped looking at the big picture and focused on what was in front of me.

Sobriety is a lot like riding up that hill. It is uncomfortable, it hurts and fatigues us, but when we focus on what is right in front of us, it makes the pain managable; one day at a time, one minute at a time if we have to. Just don’t quit lest you find yourself at the bottom of the hill again.

Unfortunately, most of those in our lives don’t know what it’s like to ride up that hill, they either haven’t tried yet or they were never at the bottom, so getting support is difficult, which is why this community is so important, we’ve all rode up that hill.

You’re doing great, keep on riding!

5 Likes