Struggling to reach day 10

Less than an hour to go until I reach 10 days. My husband brought liquor into the house and asked if I want a drink. Struggled to say, “I don’t think so.”

I keep thinking about that damn bottle and feel so ashamed to realize and admit the hold it has on me. Came here to distract myself. Part of me wants to cave, and I’m fighting the urge to make a choice I’ll regret.

Any motivational memes or kind words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

6 Likes

I know the struggle. Hang in there you are others inspiration. Ten days seems like so far from my reach. Congrats on the accomplishment.

1 Like

Ask your partner to hide the bottle for you and say him he may not ask you for a drink! He has to support you in your way to be sober! And for you: say no to the alcohol. If you say: “I don’t think so”, you leave a gap open to say yes.
Hang in there, you are doing great! You don’t drink! :facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

3 Likes

Number 1, get as far away from that bottle as u can, go find urself a quiet dark room to lie down in and find some music to inspire you. This song works particularly well for me… https://youtu.be/WGIS8npb5GQ
Number 2, have a serious talk with your husband and let him know it’s not ok for him to enable you, it’s hard enough fighting this battle with a support group of good friends, facing it with the person you love trying to knock you off the wagon is a recipe for disaster

2 Likes

I know that struggle all too well, the first 2 weeks for me were hell!
But use that struggle and those horrible feelings to motivate you. Don’t let alcohol have that effect of you and that horrid control!
It will get easier but in these moments remind yourself of every reason you chose to quit x

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. Said I don’t think so because I was on the verge of saying yes. Had he pushed it again, I probably would’ve caved. I agree my response left a gap and wish I was at the place in that moment to firmly say no.

Wish I could rely on him not to enable me. Nearly 10 days ago we had a talk about not asking me if I want to drink. He likes when alcohol makes me care less and unwind, despite seeing first hand how that’s playing roulette, and I’m just as likely to become terrible. Still, he’s apparently okay with gambling it. I have to have the strength to say no, because I never know when he might suggest drinks.

2 Likes

He doesn’t want to lose his drinking buddy. That’s a scary proposition for him too. Codependence can really throw a wrench into sobriety plans. You did awesome by resisting this time, but be wary of the next offer because it’s bound to happen.

Do you work any recovery programs?

4 Likes

You’re definitely right, we were codependent drinking buddies for nearly five years.

I haven’t worked up the courage to overcome my social anxiety and get myself to a meeting. This time last year I would’ve never considered it, now I’m open to it, just afraid. So far I’ve just been listening to the audio version of the big book and using the 12 step meditations app.

1 Like

I just earned my double digits again after the xth time resetting and my day 9 was forcing me to drink too. I thought I just deserve a drink after a hard day at work. Only wanted to calm down. I was so close to go to the shops and by a bottle. But gladly I didn’t, took a hot bath instead and checked in here. I think it’s unfair of your hubby to offer you a drink but yeah maybe he’s insecure about the sober you. I live here with my son. Nobody offers me drinks but my own brain. That’s why I’m sometimes talking it out loud, just to myself in the mirror : I’m not drinking anymore!!! Don’t play tricks on me! I don’t drink!!! Sounds a bit weird but I feel better afterwards :wink: Have great sober Thursday

1 Like

I did AA about 4 years ago, my wife was my drinking buddy and things were getting bad. She had a hard time admitting her powerlessness over alcohol. Hated the idea of me going. Lot’s of fights, lots of blame, lots of resentment. She finally accepted my offer to come into the rooms with me here recently and her growth has been phenomenal. We are growing together and witnessing the miracles daily, none of it is happenstance because we are working it, together.

The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself. Get into a meeting with that open mind. It’s cheaper than a therapist or counselor, or a drink for that matter haha. You’re not obligated to talk, to hold hands, to get chips, shake hands, hug anyone, to say the prayer or to even sit through the whole meeting. Just get in there and listen.

4 Likes

Can’t image him agreeing to join me. May I ask what changed your wife’s mind? Congratulations to you both, it’s inspiring that you’ve been able to work recovery together!

Hoping he may come around and want sobriety for himself one day.

Until then, I’ll get to a meeting for me. Traveling out of the country tomorrow and will google my options abroad now. Going to visit a friend (who is thankfully alcohol avoidant and supportive) for a week.

1 Like

Wow, surprised and grateful there are a lot of English language meeting options where I’m headed. Going to ask my friend if they’d be willing to accompany me to an open to non-alcoholics meeting. Think it might be a nice way to make some new acquaintances there too, though I have no idea what to expect.

1 Like

You know, I never really thought of it that way. My ex wife wasn’t much of a drinker, but she definitely used it to manipulate me when she wanted something out of me. In fact the night we split i came in from work to find a fifth of glenmorangie and as soon as I poured a glass she started a fight, informed me shed went and had an abortion that day and was going to stay with her new bf. The only other significant relationship I’ve had since then she had been thru the same thing with her ex so she had no tolerance for it at all, I hid it from her for a while but we got in a fight one night and I came in with a 12 pack, dropped it on the counter right in front of her , stared her down while I took 2 out and walked to the garage. 2 minutes l8r the back door flew open, she called me a few choice words and a can came flying at my head like a fastball lol…losing her and her son is what finally led me to AA tho. Looking at it from u guys perspective that’s gotta be pretty hard to deal with

As for your anxieties caustic is right, there are absolutely no obligations when you go into a meeting, ppl will be nice and greet u but past that all you have to do is sit back and listen. I went for a month and never said a word until I went to a meeting one night During a hurricane and only 3 of us showed up, and even then all they asked me to do was read a few paragraphs from a list of rules and the 12 steps. As for ur husband if he doesn’t wanna go to AA with you don’t try to force it, but at least pick up some Al-Anon brochures and get him to read them so maybe hell understand how his actions could set you back

Time. She came to believe that she had a problem in her life, that the way we were living was unmanageable. Our last fight was really bad, our kids were taken from us and I was commited while she went to the hospital. Even faced with all that she still didn’t want to go, but after seeing me go, and the way I was changing and becoming human again… I guess she was willing to try. It also helped that I didn’t force my opinions and beliefs on her as I had previously. Didn’t try to be the director and run the show and hold her accountable. I had to let a lot of anger and control go and stare at the problem, which was me. When I started changing, she picked up on it and became ready to simply try

2 Likes

I was in a household with another drinker when I first decided to sober up. I have to say, I was determined, and still stayed sober. I could not have done it though without a sober support group. Not having people I thought loved me support me in my sobriety, was very painful.
Fortunately, my sobriety maintained, but unfortunately that friendship unraveled because our only connection turned out to be drinking. . I wish you strength and support through this.

1 Like

Hello :blush: I’m on day 4 I keep resetting I’ve got a 4 day weekend from work and I’m itching for a drink. I’m thinking about the crazy stuff I’ve done whilst drunk every time I’ve had a go at my boyfriend and how I’ll feel tomorrow when I wake up with a foggy head and that dreaded anxiety! Your going to be fresh as a daisy tomorrow and ready for a new day. Hope this helps :blush:

2 Likes

Discipline equals freedom. If you refuse to surrender, you can never be defeated.

4 Likes

I need some word of guidance x

I feel like I already am defeated x