Struggling with a year of sobriety

I’m really not doing well and none of my family cares. I have no one to talk to about it. And today was supposed to be special.

21 Likes

Congrats on a year! It is very special. Remember you are doing it for you so the reaction (or lack of) doesnt mean a thing. You are a winner dont ever forget that!

8 Likes

Why ain’t it special? One year sober?! Hell yeah it’s big, and we get it!

For others, they might not relate. Might not get the kind of effort and sweat that goes into it. May even still have some old lingering feelings about it. Who knows?

Doesn’t matter, not one bit. 365 days sober is a big damn deal. Nothing but respect from this squirrel, and there’s plenty who would kill to be where you are right now. Know when I started I thought it was impossible. Good on ya, @Maeflower!

So what’s your favorite change after a full year sober?

10 Likes

Others just don’t get it or even remember. It IS super special and we all lift u up here.
Fantastic job and my most excited congratulations!

7 Likes

It can still be a special day and a special accomplishment when you don’t feel special about it. Feelings aren’t facts. Here’s a secret: you don’t have to feel special about today, today. Do what you need to do today, because this milestone is something you get to keep and feel good about whenever you want.

You can talk to us about what’s on your mind, though. You’ll find kind ears who will listen.

And congratulations on one year! :partying_face:

8 Likes

d39710463f154d4459cb2d14799be398
:clap::grin::rose:

5 Likes

Excellent job reaching a year! Very proud of you! That is an amazing accomplishment! One thing my sponsor told me was that I can’t expect everyone else in my life ( ie: family, boss, normies, etc ) to roll out a red carpet and sound the trumpets for my sobriety. I didn’t earn a gold star because I’m doing, what I always should have been doing, to begin with. Doing what most normal people all do every day without effort. It didn’t help much at first. The more I thought about what I put them through in my disease the easier it became to understand.
As for me I’m an alcoholic and I think it’s a SUPER SPECIAL DAY FOR YOU! If I had the ability to make a cake and share it with you I would. And sing happy birthday! Your amazing don’t forget that!

7 Likes

Yeah, my 1 year went by with almost no one remembering. But all my friends here were super excited! This too shall pass and you’ll have your year of sobriety anyway. Fuck everyone else, be proud enough yourself! And we’ll be proud of you too!

6 Likes

A year is very special!!! You should be very proud of yourself!!! :green_heart::yellow_heart::purple_heart::heart:

3 Likes

You’re a rock star, seriously. You have so much to be proud of, celebrate yourself.

3 Likes

Wish I could send all the flowers and cake and balloons and ice cream - because a year sober is a miracle worth celebrating BIG!

I know how lonely it can feel when those around you don’t seem to get how hard you have worked to change your life. I have to remind myself that they just can’t.. If they haven’t walked this hellish road of alcoholism and addiction, they can never know what it takes to walk away from it.

But all of us here…WE KNOW! You have done something so amazing and worth so much pride. Huge congratulations to you!!!

8 Likes

i too think its incredibly awesome! congratulations!!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations!!

f6d6bc8623f2a0ffc393978e58039197e3236d5b5dae1f894cbe8929ce862f27.0

1 Like

I come here to celebrate my milestones. My family are not addicts so they don’t understand how hard it it to stay sober. Make your own party! I gave myself a big backpiece tattoo to celebrate my 1 year sober. Find yourself a present you like, you deserve it. You saved yourself a lot of money by not drinking or using.
And congratulations with your one year sober, that is huge!! :trophy::confetti_ball:

3 Likes

COngratulations on 1 year! that is great.

1 Like

I didnt think this was something I’d be dealing with after almost a year without a drink but I’m dealing with a lot of the same shit. I’m coming up on a year this week and I’ve never wanted to drink more than in these past few days. This quarantine is starting to get to me and I feel like I’m ready to give up on everything. 2 months ago I was in the Caribbean in a cruise proposing to my girlfriend, now I feel like I dont even care if this virus or this addiction kills me. Feeling alone in a room with someone else is absolute torture. I’m just sad and want this pain to end.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that bud; have you tried zoom meetings? I guess I should ask if you go to AA first, lol. Even if it’s not your thing you could sit in on one; you can keep camera and audio off too.
Please don’t throw away your time; you’re so much stronger than you even know Dave…! Show them how it’s done, lol

2 Likes

I’ve been to AA numerous times, but it’s not really my thing, stresses me out more. I come here to read or listen to comedic AA shares on youtube. I slept the day away and now I’m just watching TV, hopefully this will pass too. Thanks.

1 Like

Stay strong and don’t drink! I drank because the quarantine made me crazy and it wasn’t worth losing my year! On day two now. Fml

1 Like

I havent, I know I’ll lose everything I care about after that first sip. Just losing my mind, so stressed out being stuck in the house. Hope you’re doing well this first week.