Stubborn spouses

Looking for advice on what words to use when talking to a significant other who’s on the fence about getting help for themselves.

1 Like

Hi, Randall. and welcome! Not to pry or anything, but you have a a sober date listed as 6/7/23, and you’re concerned about your spouse who you feel needs to get sober but isn’t committing?

Welcome Randall! :blush:
When I got sober, my husband (also an alcoholic and addict) wasn’t ready. There was nothing I could say to convince him otherwise. All I could do was show him through my actions. Eventually he did jump on the sobriety train but it was only when he wanted it for himself.

You didn’t specify what your partner needs help with so I’m not sure my response will help at all. Here’s a topic about family members who struggle with their own addictive behaviors that may be of some use.

5 Likes

For me, there really wasn’t anything my wife could have said to me to quit sooner than I did. She tried and for almost 10 years I brushed it off, “Yeah, yeah, yeah… I’ll quit soon”.

Once I did decide to go ahead and quit, the words of encouragement helped me stay the course.

I think the best thing to can do is lead by example and let her come to that decision on her own. When she does, then offer your support and experiences.

6 Likes