Suboxone..... yea or nay?

I started Suboxone this evening. Such a relief from the sickness I was dealing with, but what’s everyone’s take on it?

I was never on heroin but I used subs to get off opanas/oxys. I didn’t have a prescription for them tho, just found someone that helped me out and only got enough for the initial couple weeks. I just took the smallest amount i needed to get by. There’s plenty more people with better advice here than me. From what I’ve read its 50/50. Works wonders for some but others say the eventual withdrawal is even harder. I know it’s a great relief of those horrible symptoms so I’m glad you dont have to suffer right now. I dont know how to @ people on here or else I’d suggest a few to ask.

@Natnat will have some good advice for you on this

4 Likes

Hi i was a heroin user and had to use espranor ( subs,) to help me I just couldn’t take the withdrawal as u know it’s hell. I did a taper with my drug support worker and I was fine the last little bit I had a bit of aches and cold but nothing to bad I did my taper over 6 months and it saved my life . I know some people say I wasn’t clean while on subs but to me I wasn’t using heroin and couldn’t do it without the help x

1 Like

Yes what the alternative using??? Take as prescribe and taper down.good luck

1 Like

@Donnie_Spiering always has great advice on this one, if he’s around.

Suboxone can be a good crutch but is a very potient drug. 1mg is equivilant to 40mg of morphine. Suboxone also has a ceiling hieght of 4mg. (All receptors are accounted for ) if you dont want to withdrawal from suboxone just take it for 2 weeks at the smallest dose possible( even skipping days helps st the end) as you do not want to feel 100% comfortable. Your body cant heal if ur not feeling any wd shining through and just post poning the wd. Its also better to dose once a day. Dosing several times a day will just ends up a habit as u anticipate relief from each dose. The hardest part is jumping off as even the tiniest piece will give relief. I wouldnt recommend taking more then 2mg and tapering down throughout the 2 weeks. The lower you can taper off the better. Usually 3 days after u stop the subs you will start to feel things coming around. Be patient as physical and mental wd will last months but it will get more manageable each month clean.

4 Likes

Suboxone is a life saving drug, if used correctly!
Do not, I repeat, do not use it on your own.
Go to an opiate treatment program or a doctor that has the waiver to prescribe and dispense it, they can talk with you then together you’ll determine the correct course of action for YOU, that could include tapering off or to continue taking it.
It’s important to know though that while you’re taking any opiate treatment medication you are infact sober, you’re living a fulfilling, productive, honest life with those that care for you without the negative aspects you experienced while actively using your d.o.c.

1 Like

I, myself, have been taking Subs since the beginning of December and since I began, I have had a total of 5 cravings. It really helps with those and aids with motivation. I owe half of my ongoing success to Subs. I have struggled with heroin addiction for 7 years. And I could never shake it. Finally, I chose treatment and a maintenece program. They really go hand in hand. I suggest IOP to go with it… And depending on your funding, a state paid program may require that you enroll in Intensive Out Patient. It truly is a miracle drug. It doesn’t work for everyone, but it has with me so far. Just stay in the rooms and continue working on you or the subs won’t do you any good. :heart:

1 Like

As long as you are taking as its prescribed and you’re under the strict supervision of a doctor, you’re sober. Cheers to you and f*** those who disagree. Im sure that if they had a problem with it, its because they didn’t know how to get it. My medication keeps the needle out of my arm and the support of my family ever present. You sought help. Thats what counts. :heart:

1 Like

I totally agree with you it’s saved my life I just couldn’t get off heroin without it . So pleased your getting help and can also live a clean life x