Substituting one vise for another

I’ve been sober from booze for 90 days. And I’ve been drinking coffee, diet Coke, and eating chocolate until I’m nauseous. I switched to tea, weened myself off the diet coke and chocolate but I’m still thinking of having it. Once I start, I want a buzz. Staying away from booze has been pretty good lately, but the thrill of indulging in something is always so attractive. Any suggestions?

4 Likes

mmh like going for a run when. u need to drink…

3 Likes

I never met anyone in rehab for chocolate addiction. Once you start stabilizing in sobriety you can bring in healthier habits, but until then if eating chocolate and drinking coffee is keeping you sober then you rock it!

9 Likes

I’ve been exactly the same. I hardly drank coffee before I gave up alcohol. I’m 29 days in and I’m giving it another week then I’m going to start limiting sugar again and stop drinking coffee.

2 Likes

Do you like frozen whipped topping? Had a small bowl of some the other night, instead of ice cream. It was pretty damn good. lol

3 Likes

I live on coffee, seriously. And I love Diet Coke! I don’t really have any helpful advise except that I am much happier with those than I ever was drinking :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Doc told me to cut back on drinking coffee. I did for a month now I’m back to it lol. Not a pop fan. Now club soda with a lime or maybe an occasional ginger beer.

4 Likes

I quit chewing tobacco about two weeks ago and booze four days ago. Tonight I am craving a piece of nicotine gum which I probably have somewhere in my house isn’t that absured? I’ll try a cup of coffee and hope it passes

4 Likes

I wonder about this, too. I’m definitely smoking cigs a lot.more, and will.work.on quitting those soon. I’ve definitely upped my coffee intake, too, but overall Im.physically, emotionally and mentally better off right now. One day at a time…

9 Likes

I definitely did the one vice for another too. When was drinking, it was either alcohol or water.
Now I’m drinking juices, water, teas, cocoa, and coffee.
I mean metric loads of coffee. Groggy buzz for a fresh buzz I guess.

4 Likes

I eat chobani flips when the icecream craving hits. I still allow myself a bowl of real icecream now and again. I can moderate icecream.

2 Likes

I had to use the lozenges to quit my dipping habit. 34 years I chewed tobacco. Still get a craving now and again. I use a whole coffee bean in my lip. Does the trick. Did get a funny look when I went through airport screening, and I put a little baggie with half a dozen coffe beans in it, in the little tub.

3 Likes

I started drinking white tea, after 9am. Very low caffeine. I get up at 4:15 every day, and have some coffee before my workout, with no plans to quit forever.

Every January-February I do a 40-day Daniel Fast, which includes no caffeine. I’ll spend December only drinking white tea, to be ready for no caffeine in January.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of Daniel Fast. Will have a google on that. What kinda workouts do you do?

1 Like

Search for the 30-day challenge and working on working out threads on here and join in. Lots of good stuff.

Mine center on martial arts. I get many from here: www.darebee.com

Here’s info on the Daniel Fast. It’s spiritual, but if you aren’t, it’s great for a cleanse or reset.

https://ultimatedanielfast.com/ultimate-daniel-fast-food-guidelines/

1 Like

You might like Jocko White Tea with Pomegranate. Very low caffeine. I love the stuff.

1 Like

Thanks I will try it. I like pomegranate

1 Like

Thank you so much for giving me the darebee site. I’ve just had a look and it’s something I will definitely use! I’m relatively new to weight lifting etc and felt I was getting a little bored with what I was doing but the site looks packed with new things to try.

The danielfast looks pretty similar to what I try to follow in my day to day life, however I do allow myself treats at the weekends. Since quitting the alcohol the sugar cravings have well and truly kicked in! I’ll need to reduce it drastically when I get home.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

2 Likes