Substitutions for an instant release

A pretty hectic week, finished with a non-stop day. Really want some instant release, that ‘haaa’ feeling of the first hit of ur doc. Well, I know that leads to nowhere, so what are others’ go-to releases? I can’t exactly go run a bath or something, as I have to get home, then get dinner on.

Call a fellow addict and talk about your day.
Share the good and the bad. It always feels releasing to me.

8 Likes

Instant release or instant gratification,I feel is part of our addict brain.I need to work on this aswell its addicts behaviour.maybe a quick 5/10 minutes meditation or deep breathing,hate to break it to you but I feel there isn’t any quick fix ,there’s ways we can get more stillness by not instant gratification.this is only my view though.xx

9 Likes

Yeah, on the way home, was thinking maybe instant relaxation isn’t something ‘normal’ people have. BUT, remembered I had a herbal lavender aromatherapy bottle, and a few sniffs gave me the ''haaa" I wanted.

3 Likes

Vigorous exercise, or even a leisurely stroll. Movement.

8 Likes

I could certainly do some stretches while waiting for my train. An hour and a half commute on a Friday evening is a real trigger. Tbh, I loved a drink while watching the scenery go by. Have to find something to replace it tho.

1 Like

Perhaps listen to a guided meditation during your commute?

3 Likes

Used to listen to my walkman on way home AA tapes or even the boss born in the usa got funny looks as i boged on the platform lol

5 Likes

Exercise, for me running on a treadmill, or lifting weights

2 Likes

I love the Boss!! Have you seen his autobiographical one-man show from recent years? His age looks damn good on him! :smiley:

2 Likes

Read here about having to come back after relapse!! Helps me…:blush:

3 Likes

I gotta agree with the ones who suggest exercise. Even just a few jumping jacks or stretching like you said always gives me a little natural boost.

1 Like

Are you happy doing what you do? Of course, everyday has its stresses and challenges but this will be amplified so much more if you’re not happy doing what you’re doing day in day out. If you like doing what you do, just immerse yourself in it and see if you can find a way to enjoy it without needing the “aah” moment. If you can turn the stress/challenge into something like problem solving or just something you can enjoy doing, that might help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My job is fine, I don’t love it, but don’t hate it, and any job will have busyness or stresses.
It might be a good idea to put a couple of meditations on my mp3 player for such a time.

Here’s a script that I have used a few times. It was shown to me by my doctor. I feel like it actually works.

Try it out. You might like it.

http://projects.hsl.wisc.edu/SERVICE/courses/whole-health-for-pain-and-suffering/Script-Mindful-Breathing.pdf

1 Like