Talking Language

If I had a smarter brain, I would have wanted to be a linguist. It’s fascinating. We need more word nerds here :blush:

Hey @Matt ! :blush: Join us would you :wave:t2:

5 Likes

I almost went that direction after reading Noam Chomsky and taking a linguistics class :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

A funny story, folks who speak an indigenous language first and then learn Spanish frequently speak it with an accent. I came home speaking more fluently than ever, but my mom teased me that I had an accent! I couldn’t hear it, she said it was more sing song like and she said it sounded “pretty!” So weird to think about. Since then I’ve heard others who have that kind of accent and I agree.

7 Likes

One reason probably is that English has such a strong lingua franca position especially in the West.

I was told in high school that we learn different languages in order to understand others and to be understood. That’s a given if you’re coming from such a secluded language group as I do.

7 Likes

Pronunciation of xocolatl/chocolate

https://www.google.com/search?q=chocolate+in+nahuatl+pronunciation&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS603US604&oq=is+chocolatw+a+nahuatl&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgCEAAYogQyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQABiiBDIHCAIQABiiBDIKCAMQABiiBBiJBdIBCTEzODEyajBqN6gCALACAA&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:5947cbb6,vid:iaDaVj3zBnM

3 Likes

That’s so cool Rosa! It’s something else to get to stay in area where the language is spoken, and get to be in the culture and all. :two_hearts:

And you know, how you every now and then bump on stuff on the internet, but you’re not sure if it’s true? Because I read this thing where someone was saying that this one indigenous language is dying, maybe in Mexico (I don’t remember anymore), because the two people who still speak it are older and not in good terms, so they’re not speaking to each other. Have you come across this story? I just don’t know how legit it is.

3 Likes

I’m influenced by the English speakers around me. The more I listen to Muricans (like @Ravikamor @SoberGuyUSA @Fury) the more I pick up their style and manner. If I spent a few months in England I would sound yet different.

6 Likes

Yes, very true. I think it largely stems from us not starting to properly learn until secondary school (so 11 onwards), by which time it is so much harder. We don’t emerse ourselves in the language either. It comes from a position of arrogance that we will be understood which is really embarrassing.

4 Likes

Honestly, I wouldn’t doubt it! That sounds so Mexican, too, not to stereotype too much, but that stubborn grudge holding is a THANG!

3 Likes

I still speak English with a Swedish accent. No matter if I spend time in UK or US.

Fun thing is that whenever I’ve used Romani for a longer time (like a few hours l) Which doesn’t happen that often nowdays, since there’s not a lot of people to talk to,I then speak Swedish with a Romani accent when I’m changing back.

6 Likes

Right. I started English on 3rd grade, as 9 year-old. Swedish and German a few years later. Italian when I was 16.

Now, I hear that Finnish parents put their kids in English, French, German etc kindergartens so that they would learn a foreign language as early as possible.

7 Likes

English is taking over here. More and more shops people working there don’t speak dutch, just english. Not good but reality.

7 Likes

Oh, I definitely have a Finnish accent too :joy: you prolly knew that Finnish Swedish and “riks svenska”, Swedish in Sweden that is, sound different.

3 Likes

That really surprises me!

3 Likes

I found an article about it! Seems legit then!

2 Likes

Oh em gee. Why am I not surprised. But with just two left it is pretty much doomed. So sad.

3 Likes

So many foreigners in town. From everywhere. And English the lingua Franca in the West like Olivia says.

6 Likes

Oh wow I was way off on the number of variations! 360+! I’m glad people are trying to save what they can.

3 Likes

That is terrible. Are they English people, or people of a different heritage that speak English?

3 Likes

That seems kind of odd…