Talking Sober moderators: applications closed! Meet the new mods!

Hello Talking Sober!

We currently have four active moderators in our community:
@SassyRocks
@Eke
@siand
@CaptAZ

We’re trying to spread the load out between them as we don’t want anyone specifically getting overburdened or burned out.

What moderators do:

• They evaluate flagged posts. They agree or disagree that a post is inappropriate when flagged.
  • They respond to direct messages from members who need assistance
  • They tidy up and organize the forum when they see it is needed
  • They provide advice and guidance to new members

They do not inspect every single post on the forum. This is not their responsibility (that would be way too much to do anyway). Instead they rely on community members to let them know when something is wrong. They then act like a sort of judge and provide a verdict, often after discussing the issue with other moderators.

If this is something that you’d like to do, reply here or send me a message. I’ll answer any questions that you might have. You can also @ any of the moderators if you want to ask them a specific question. This is a self voluntary position, so please only nominate yourself if you are interested.

Please note: clean time of at least one year is a requirement.

Edited to add:
We’re looking for someone who . . .
Is fair
Follows and knows the forum rules
Will make the best decisions for the community
Won’t abuse power

Community moderator positions are now OPEN!

21 Likes

no forum vote??

1 Like

My vote is for @Matt

Always fair, level headed and spends a lot of time drafting thorough replies to help others

18 Likes

You can nominate someone for sure. If they are interested, they can let us know.

It can be time consuming and sometimes stressful, so that needs to be considered.

We are also hoping to find extra coverage for when @siand is on duty.

5 Likes

@RosaCanDo

5 Likes

yea i’ll bet. the voting process has worked out very well to date at least i’d say so. i’m curious why we would abandon it now? who is picking if not the members of the forum?

It has been a nominating process the last couple of times, not voting. But obviously if someone is nominated, they get to decide if they are interested.

And Robin makes the final decisions based on input from the forum and moderators.

1 Like

yea i guess you’re right. we voted on the nomination part. we’ll, i kinda feel like that method has been working well so far. i think it makes sense to let the forum members have a part in the process vs just letting robin decide.

1 Like

I’m glad you guys decided to add more moderators, I’ve felt bad for the current ones having to deal with so much recently!

9 Likes

I dunno if I’m going off script here, but I’d echo what @SassyRocks said: Nominate away! Perhaps some need the encouragement.

She’s also right that in the end Robin has always made the final call, though.

6 Likes

Interested in moderating??

5 Likes

I appreciate the question!! Unfortunately I don’t have enough free time to devote to being on TS in order to moderate :pensive:

Plus I only have 10 months of sobriety so not quite to that 1 year mark yet!

6 Likes

I understand, our loss.

1 Like

Can we bring back David? @NewPerspective

3 Likes

Gosh, that would be wonderful. I believe he is still a moderator actually…but…life has him busy.

Edited to add: we need someone who is actively on the forum.

5 Likes

Thank you Darren, I will give it some thought. :innocent:

13 Likes

@RosaCanDo

9 Likes

Is @ifs not moderating anymore?

1 Like

Not actively, no. He is still a moderator. He is taking care of himself right now and we are hopeful he will return to moderating when he is ready.

Ariel is also on extended break and we are hopeful she will return at some point as well.

6 Likes