Tea Time Every Day

For years I regularly drank a variety of craft beers and claimed it was because I enjoyed experiencing the flavor profiles and trying to identify the ingredients each was made with. While it was true in part, ultimately, those were just justifications for ordering a drink (or often 5+) anytime I sat down for dinner or lunch in a restaurant or buying several 6 packs/week at the grocery or liquor store.
Now, I am 1 month and 23 days sober and I find myself drinking A LOT of tea. It’s been really great! I still get to enjoy a wide variety of flavors in addition to some super awesome benefits. If I’ve had a stressful day, I come home and brew a nice cup of chamomile with lavender. Valerian root tea is great if I’m having trouble falling asleep. I also love an assortment of black teas if I ever want just a bit of caffeine. It’s been nice not consuming a bunch of empty calories, I spend a lot less money than I would on beer, and it satisfies that reflex to reach out and sip on a beverage. Best of all, I don’t wake up feeling sick, anxious and full of shame. Tea has been a surprising support on my path to recovery and I’m very thankful for it.

35 Likes

I like that : ) im going to try it. thank you

I’ve been drinking so much tea too haha but like you said better than the alternative. I’ve replaced beer with it and so far it’s keeping me content. Active. More alert and getting so much done around the house and with my bikes. Wife loves that I’m so active and keeping out of trouble.

3 Likes

Do you know of anything that might help with chronic joint pain? I take a lot of pain relievers throughout the week, but I know that those aren’t great for kidney/liver health and I’d like to find a healthier alternative.

1 Like

Tea is my buddy too! I’ve been drinking way too much coffee lately…and it’s not a good combo with me. So I reminded myself to shift back this week. I even went to a fancy tea shoppe with my sister and got one of those single mugs with the steeper in it that is all ornate and beautiful and brews the tea for you…i feel like my addictive personality tends to…think about things more than normies. It wasn’t just wine…it was “I made this three course dinner including pork shank osso bucco that will pair beautifully this this Cabernet that…” blah blah blah…so I’m trying to slowly shift those obsessions to healthier things. I guess my addict brain likes ritual too. So the coke bag, mirror, rolled up bill, bottle of wine shrine has now become me trying out scone recipes because now I’m in love with the idea of afternoon proper tea time.

I wonder…does it eventually shift to not desiring ritual and obsessing about things? Or do I just get with the fact that this is a part of me and as long as I direct my thoughts towards healthy things well then…good on me?

1 Like

I used the same excuse with craft beers…i like the tea idea

Thank you so much! I’d love to check out any recipes you’d like to provide. I’ve never made my own tea blend before, but it would be a cool thing to get into.

Judging from your name I’m guessing you’re in Michigan, too? There are so many quality breweries here, it’s so easy to over-indulge.

Omg yes…and Oberon just came out…that was tough not to indulge

That sounds great, thank you!

1 Like

I’ve actually never tried Oberon, but I worked in a bar for a couple of years and everyone went totally nuts when we would first add it on tap. This is gonna be my first sober summer and I feel like it’s gonna be hard to stay away from Soft Parade.

I know what you mean…i was the store looking at the oberon display…had to pull out my phone and look at my Ap, to remind me of why I wasnt drinking anymore

1 Like

This app has been so helpful. I only joined a few days ago, but I’ve been sober since February and feeling very lonely and restless about it. Reading everyone’s thoughts and experiences has helped alleviate those feelings a lot and hopefully it’ll help keep me out of all the beer tents in the coming months.

It has been wonderful! I wouldnt have made it 16…17 tomorrow with out it

1 Like

Congratulations! Those first few weeks are such a challenge, but watching that clock count upwards is so satisfying.

Absolutely! Me too! Drinking tea is my new ritual.

I highly recommend Jocko White Tea. Bought a box for my wife, and now I love the stuff too.

Pao d’arco tea, I’m drinking it right now! :slight_smile:

I figured I’d show you guys my tea spree from this weekend! Barry’s Irish tea and a little tea bag rest from the Irish store…and then a gorgeous tea brewing cup with lid and some loose earl grey…it’s the little things sometimes…:heart:

3 Likes

Hi @AiJ and @anon46927530 glad you’re doing well. I suggest to find a new favourite non alcoholic summer drink to avoid the urge for beer. My fav home drink is tea in various mixes and sorts. My fav summer drink could be ginger beer :heart_eyes: just found it at my local grocery store but it’s not very popular in Germany yet so you can’t have it at bars, wich is a shame. So I stay with so called Ki-Ba … cherry juice and banana juice… wich looks like a little cocktail and tastes nice :yum: