Tell me about your first day of sobriety

Tell me about your first day of sobriety
Completing the first day of sobriety what was it like , what helped you, what you did on those days…

2 Likes

My 1st day,

I was in a detox center I looked like a dog shittingrazor blades. If I didn’t go I wasn’t going to make it.

My first day post treatment, I think having a support group to keep me honest was the trick, I was all over the place, liquor right in front of me, and the chance to cop drugs at the corner. Alone I was done for, with a friend I made it

3 Likes

You joined rehab with your friends?

No I made friends there, I currently share a house with 2 of them

1 Like

It tolly sucked!! Sick as f. But each day since has been better and better. I look back on that day with affection, tho. Why? Because on that day I made a promise to myself to never be that person again! Lord give me the strength to keep my promise. Thank u!

Bye for now…

3 Likes

My first day sober I was very hungover. On July 4th 2018 I bought a 24 pack of beer. I told my wife I was going to quit drinking after I finished the 24 pack.

I put them in a rolling cooler filled with ice. Drove to my friends house at 1pm for 4th of July pool party and started drinking. Left that friends house at 6pm and went to my in laws house for fireworks with the family. Drank some more there with my father and father in law and was home around 10pm. Finished the rest of the beers off by 2am.

Needless to say I felt like crap the next morning. Also wondering if this really was going to be the final quit as I attempted and promised this many times.

So far it has worked out!

2 Likes

The thing that helped me most in the early days of sobriety was coming here everyday and reading and listening to advice from people who had more sober time than myself.

The first 30 days I was tired all the time.My mood was all over the place. Didn’t do much other than read on here and some working out.

Eventually I just started to find things I enjoyed other than drinking. Hanging out with my son, personal finance, and investing. Read alot of books about investing over the past year.

5 Likes

I kinda knew I was quitting. Really tired of drinking and severe hangovers. Been using booze to deal with stress in my life for the last ten or twenty years. Ok all my life. Had a great big bender end of 2019. Basically drinking breakfast lunch and dinner and evening through the Holidays. I had major 2 day hangover on Jan 2 and 3 2020. I Found this app on January 3 2020 and I’m finally doing it. Living my dream of sobriety.
:pray:t2::heart:

7 Likes

My first day was fine until the evening. That is when I realized that I was at the first fork in the road. Stay away from the booze. Or follow my norm and have a bottle. I shut myself in the bedroom, listened to music in my earbuds and drowned out everything that was not the music. And i remember that I just kept doing mental inventory and being all “logic and reason” with myself about my withdrawal symptoms. Luckily, I remember that it was not pleasant, but the ugly details have faded from my mind.

Now ask me about waking up on Day 2 sober. Bloody brilliant! As cruddy as I felt, waking up knowing that I did not drink the night before was absolutely fantastic.

7 Likes

Came to and the house was empty. My mom had taken the family to her house because I could be a violent and angry person. Then learned the kids were with my brother and SIL. Then the calls from DCS started.

I don’t have to live like that or be that animal anymore, life is good and been good for a couple years thanks to sobriety.

3 Likes

My first day was spent in the hospital suffering from a heart attack. Unfortunately it took that for me to realize what was more important doing cocaine with a bad heart or staying alive and enjoying life with a clear mind and healthier lifestyle…I took the latter and here I am today,29 days clean and working on getting my heart better

5 Likes

My first day was the same as it always is. (I never drank daily) laying in bed hungover glad i didnt have to work. Whole day wasted.

1 Like

cant remember to long ago but it worked

3 Likes

My middle child said, ‘You were mean to me last night… You don’t remember do you?’… My youngest then added, ‘Sometimes you get mean when you drink.’
That was enough. Too many mornings not remembering how I got to bed. Shame for being mean… Saying mean stuff… Day 1… May it be the last time I hear or feel like this with my kids.

5 Likes

I’ve quit plenty of times and gave up. But I’ve never quit with support before. It’s too hard without support.
For me. This is just the support I needed. And it’s working. If I work it.

2 Likes

On July 3rd, 2019 I awoke, feeling SO much shame, despair, fear, anxiety, shock, depression, regret, embarassment AND I was so so physically sick, tired and exhausted. I was depleted mentally, physically and spiritually :worried: I let ppl I care about down. I let myself down. I hid away, cried, and slept, and wallowed. It was an awful day, and yet one of the most important days of my life, because it’s this day that I realised I never had to feel like this again. I realised that this suffering could be alleviated and I knew then that I’d do whatever it takes to never feel like this again. I logged on here, to TS, started my counter and then read, read & read for probably like 8hrs straight, and logged on almost every day since, reading and learning, following suggested advice and being thankful to be sober, for it is truly a gift. :heart:

6 Likes

I’m glad you’re here.

1 Like

Really glad I wrote this down. Today I’m 800 days without alcohol and I’m feeling proud! :blush: I think back to that Day 1 and remember how awful it was, I definitely don’t want to feel like that again. Ever. Sober life = my best life, for sure :100:

8 Likes

I’m also investing in cryptocurrency and stocks… keeps me busy and making money from home.

That’s inspiring and thank you for sharing with me