Terrible Panic and anxiety during withdrawal?

The worst part for me is when the anxiety, panic, itching, sweating, and blurry vision all go away I feel like I must be cured and I jump right back in. After 5 days of sobriety I somehow forget the horrors from 6 days ago, and I stat the cycle all over. It gets measurably worse every time, but I never seem to remember that.

4 Likes

I totally relate with the anxiety but it does get better I promise. Sometimes visualization can help, like what do you envision for yourself. Becoming sober is just an exercise in delayed gratification.

2 Likes

Really?? Maybe that’ll help me!!! I’ve been getting terrible sleep!!!

2 Likes

Same here …had a bad withdrawl yesterday…anxiety sadness shaking hands sweating…luckily it subsided by evening…today i feel like jetlagged

2 Likes

Hi. I think the earlier post by Brian is really useful here in explaining what’s going on in the body and mind. I used to drink every day so there was no down time and no panick attacks. Then I reduced to weekends and that’s when the anxiety and panick set in. I hallucinated one night and scared myself so I tried to stop drinking altogether and would go maybe a couple of weeks and then relapse and then anxiety set in then my body was really itchy too. But once I was able to quit for a month or so at a time it subsided and now I am 38 days and no symptoms so it really does get better the longer you go. It’s awful though when you’re going through it but just keep on going. It’s good on this forum as you get to hear others experiences and helps to know you’re not alone

3 Likes

Lulu u I would be interested in knowing the science of the body being addicted and the explanation you’ve mentioned if you can. Thanks

It’s been SO helpful!

1 Like

Thanks Jules1, it is really helpful to hear what others are going through. I’m on day 9 now and doing much better. Lots of weird aches and pains though, I’m hoping once I make it past the first month that will subside.

Its unbelvble that after going through all these we go back and start cycle all over again. I had to go to urgent care and er once…then 3 4 withdrawal episodes with terrible anxiety and depression …and after some time i go bak again…i am sober again now and hope i will never relapse.

1 Like

Only when I started trying to quit drinkonndd i realize how much it actually contributes to my anxiety. I would drinknll the time so every day the anxiety would set in and I’d just drink again that evening.

Then I quit drinking my dory had to re set but once it did my anxiety in general is really really really low.

The intense anxiety actually helped me stop drinkogmonce I detoxed because i simply didn’t want to deal with that feeling in the morning.
I’m also no longer depressed although for a few weeks I was down in the dumps initially.

You gotta stick it out and understand that this is a direct result of you’re alchohol consumption . It does go away. It only if you stop reintroducing alchohol into your system. Otherwise you keep starting harnpart of Recovery over and over again every time you drink again and stop.

2 Likes

I would always get super agitated and nasty. It goes away. It takes time though.

2 Likes

Hello Artgirl did the symptoms ever go away. I know its been 2 years, would like to know if they ever did,I am on day 60 and sometimes still get symptoms.

You will have symptoms, not as bad, you just try to access them more rational, when I feel worked up I slow down and ask God to take control takes consistency and true faith I accept it’s apart of my life and it’s ok to have anxiety and fears but don’t let it handicap you, you deserve the best

Thank you definitely getting alot better

1 Like