Thank you to forum community

Hi guys,

Today is my first week without alcohol and I’m here with my first message to thank you all for your stories, because yesterday they saved me from break down.
I started as a social drinker, but it got worse with time. Yesterday, on my 6th day without drinking I went to an exhibition opening with free entry-drinks and lots of my friends cheerfully enjoying booze. As I was preparing myself for this event, it went well and I didn’t get event a drop. But on my way home I felt so weak and exhausted, that I stopped at a nearby shop and bought a large bottle of whiskey and snacks. I was ready to return to the world of self distraction. When I entered my apartment and saw how miserable it was, I started talking to myself about the harm that I’m going to cause right now. I decided to enter the app and read some stories hoping that they will keep me from drinking. And it actually worked! As I surfed through the posts and chats, the craving started to die down.
And here I am the next morning. Still sober. Incredibly grateful to all of you. I know that it won’t be easy but I’ve finally found out that I’m not alone.

17 Likes

Hey

Well that was a close one. So impressed how you managed to pull it back and talk yourself round. I don’t think I could’ve done that with bottle in hand. Hold onto that strength.

Something I was taught early on was HALT. Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. When we experience these things we are at our lowest. Learning to recognise these feelings and treating them helps to keep you well.

:hugs:

4 Likes

Glad you stayed sober well done. Now get rid of that whisky, down the drain asap.

7 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada:
I hope you have trow away the alcohol? Get rid of it if you haven’t. It will keep tempting you untill you give in.

3 Likes

Hiya
Thank you, sounds sooo true! I am a newby at sobriety and fighting alcohol, so haven’t heard of such simple truths before :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I haven’t done so yet, but will do it in the evening. Went to work this morning, so I will have something to occupy myself with for the nearest 9 hours :woman_technologist:t3:

2 Likes

Wow, I think I am going back to AA. Out here alone is going to eventually kill me. I appreciate you sharing this. I feel like crap. I have been drinking almost every day. This is so hard.

4 Likes

This is incredibly hard! And that’s an extreme challenge we all are here for, together.
If you are having a thought about going back to AA, then you should go to a meeting. Just once - small step at a time.
Hold on! :muscle:

2 Likes

I HIGHLY recommend you at least check out some ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS meetings in your area (google for more). It’s free, there’s no reason not to check it out, if you love it then stay, if you don’t like it you’ve lost nothing, you can always get up and walk out at any time. I recommend going to AT LEAST 5 meetings before deciding if AA is right for you.

Don’t put it off anymore. Don’t wait for that special occasion to quit. Today’s the day. Start right now. Take the first step, and the rest will take care of itself.

( ö )/

3 Likes

Gosh, I wish AA community was more developed and easily approachable in my country :weary:

1 Like

Do you have someone in your home who could dump it out for you?

What country do you live in? I can help look for meetings if you’d like.

2 Likes

I’m from Ukraine and AA are not that common here

http://www.aa.org.ua/groups.php?l=a

1 Like

You ROCK! Thats done and now you are stronger.

2 Likes

Good job!:facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

1 Like