The addiction crisis

Over the last couple of months I’ve noticed I have been taking a more narrow view of recovery, focusing on my own more than anything. But this issue is not just relegated to a few of us. There is a major crisis going on in the United States and across the globe. Addicts are dying at unprecedented rates. Cities are going over their budget trying to slow this disease. Families have been torn apart. This is one of the worst public health crises to affect the world in the last hundred years.

There is no one way to fight this epidemic. It’s going to take everyone’s coming together and coming up with new ideas. Knowledge is the most important tool we have. Fighting the stigma of addiction and encouraging people to seek help is now the responsibility of those who have been there. In other words it is up to us.

In the following thread I, and us, will be posting articles and updates regarding this crisis. Some will be eye-opening. Some will be sad. Others will be inspiring. They all will be necessary in educating ourselves so that we can go out and show others how it is done. I, for one, cannot continue to just focus on me. It is time to go out and help others.

26 Likes
3 Likes

This affects us all.

1 Like

I’m getting the urge to stop the methodone for a couple days and do a whack. The using dreams have been 3 nights in a row. This vitriol sounds to good to be true but might be worth it. Especially because I’m going to be a single father in a month a can’t lose him again

2 Likes

One of the few drugs I did I didn’t like thank God. When I got shot, the cut me open down the middlen got a massive 30 staple scar on down my middle. They gave me morphine and percocets for pain, I didn’t take any of them or use the morphine button cause I hated the way it made me feel.

1 Like

If you can get 14 days clean off the methadone then vivitrol would be a good option. I’m on it myself and my cravings have been pretty much zero since I started it.

1 Like

Loperamide sucks.

1 Like

Local agencies are a key to getting people into treatment.

https://www.myajc.com/lifestyles/this-life-with-gracie-jewish-program-manager-personal-story-informs-work-opioid-crisis/0ZI5mOKpozxDXlduLYZjXI/amp.html#amp_tf=From%20%1%24s

1 Like

Education.

1 Like

What mg are you just going to drop off of and give it a whack? Tapering would be a better solution

1 Like

New Hampshire is being hit hard.

We need more people like this.

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2018-05-11/counselor-and-consultant-jamelia-hand-taking-the-opioid-crisis-personally?context=amp#amp_tf=From%20%1%24s

I was watching a documentary about the epidemic.

Feel free to correct me if I get something wrong.

One of the biggest manufacturer of Oxy are the same drug manufacturer who started the fentanyl craze with the patches, just happen to also come out with the Narcan later on.

Once they epidemic hit and fentanyl started being manufactured by China and Mexico ( they hired chemists to make it illegal) they went from charging $18 per Narcan pen to $ 58. Supposedly the government stepped in and put a cap on what they could charge.

So they get us hooked ( giving kick backs to dr to over prescribe) with pills, then when those don’t work, the patches, then when those don’t work people turn to heroin. And guess what, they found away to make money off of that too.

3 Likes

My plan was go cool till I was ready two rip my skin off and chop off my f… Leg then I would now a smash would have some effect. See I on such a high dose of juice that any opitate dose zip for me( which is the point) this would take about 1 and half tops. Talking about this actually make feel quite foolish and embarrassed really. The cravings fading… I guess that is why they have these chat rooms. Thanks

1 Like

Purdue Pharma is one of the biggest offenders. Many companies manufactor pain pills and overdose medications. This problem has been around for as long as pharma companies have been around. Class action lawsuits have been filed against them across the country, and I predict many will be successful. Hopefully the settlement money will be put directly back into recovery.

Sadly, though, the toothpaste cannot be put back into the tube. We can litigate this issue to death and probably completely bankrupt a few of those companies, but at what cost? Closing labs where important medical advances are made. Driving up the costs of medication for those who truly need it. This is an insanely complicated issue that is going to require a new way of thinking. For the time being we need to focus on helping those who need it, and once we get a handle on it we can nail the bastards to the wall.

I am off the form belief that we cannot litigate, legislate, or arrest our way out of this. We cannot rely on federal or state governments to act because they simply cannot do it fast enough. It’s going to take community involvement and grassroots activism to solve this problem.

If even 10% of the population volunteered locally the results would be amazing. I certainly don’t expect everyone to sacrifice time and money to fight this. It wouldn’t be fair to expect that. However, I am going to. I can only hope others do the same.

2 Likes

Forward thinking.

Drug dealers are drug dealers, whether on the street or accredited. They want you to believe you need their product. Half the advertising on television is for drugs for this, that or the other.

1 Like

Agree with yout both. The realization of that just really stuck with me.

Attacking big pharma

1 Like

Its all about money. Booze, scripts, weight loss “systems”. They all push a product to make money.

1 Like