The addiction crisis

When asking for needles know your sizes and tell them its for giving your dog medication…

1 Like

Former junkie here. My take is anyone should be able to walk in to any pharmacy or drug store and buy a needle. Just as if the were buying a pack of gum. No questions or anything.

The problem for me back then was that I was a lazy junkie. To get any king of needle exchange I would have had to talk to people. Had to sign up for this or that. Had to go places. Had to do a bunch of shit that this junkie wasn’t capable of doing.

What I was capable of doing was going into a pharmacy and paying a dollar or whatever for a clean needle. And that’s about it

1 Like

This makes a lot of sense. You can afford dope, you can afford needles. Kinda sucks that pharmacy employees are weird about it.

It seems like an odd trend, I’ve been noticing that so many services meant to help drug users or the homeless or low income have more hoops to jump through, compared to other services. IMHO if you’re needing some of these services, you need fewer hoops not more. Like, I filled out paperwork for applying to a housing program, and they require an address… wtf. Good thing I actually have one to use.

Yeah but there’s 2 sides to that coin. I robbed and pillaged to get my dope. I did terrible things. I belonged in jail for what I did. I didn’t want any treatment for nothing. Yes I was sick. But I was still a criminal.

So I can see both sides of this. Do I think someone should go to jail for a little bag of dope? Hell no! They should get put in to treatment. But if someone stole something to supply their habit they need to be treated like any other criminal. There can’t be exceptions to the law just because someone is an addict. That wouldn’t be fair to the real criminals.

I stole a lot. I hurt people. It wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t a junkie. If I didn’t have a habit to feed. For that, I belonged in jail to pay for my crimes, just like any other criminal

1 Like

Absolutely. Something has to change. Some criminal justice reform bill got signed last week. It’s gonna be interesting to see what’s in it.

Not much there for what we have been discussing. As far as treatment and such. It is something I guess. And something is better than nothing😉

Thanks for the link

It’s surprising that even on a recovery forum I have seen people argue that addiction isn’t a disease, but it has happened. Well…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Score 1 for the good guys.

2 Likes

Drop the hammer.

2 Likes

Spice is literally dessimating the homeless population in my home city Manchester. Very interesting thread this :+1:

Had a baby coming off this a month ago :cry: Rough stuff.

That’s sad…
What do you have to do for babies birthed from mothers on suboxone?

Medicate to help with withdrawal, just like an adult.

1 Like

… unfortunately. Couldn’t hold him enough :cry:

That has to be an incredibly difficult situation.
Thank you for answering that, I didn’t know what the difference would be medically between the two with detoxing being heroin or suboxone. Like babies born with mothers using heroin or meth are they more likely to have the brain receptors effected potentially permanently were the child is hindered sometimes mentally or chemically dependent?

1 Like

Usually they give subutex not subxone to pregnant mothers. Either way im sure it will withdrawl which is horrible. Its kinda a hard spot because if a mother withdrawls herself during pregnancy Can cause complications. So i can only imagine how much this happens and the amount the docs are prescribing to keep the pregnant mother from wd.

2 Likes

Hey, Donnie! Where ya been?

This mom was taking Suboxone… was 36 weeks when she delivered, thought she was only 8 weeks prego when she came in contracting…

The traveling nurse that helped me deliver my first born regularly worked with detoxing newborns, he said he had to hold them a lot and swaddle them tightly. Thank God for nurses :pray:

3 Likes