The Caffeine Circus Cycle of Fail

Doing well with less caffeine for the most part! I’m consuming 80% green or black tea instead of coffee and still feeling good. I think my relay run last week helped a lot … we were in small towns in NC and I didn’t have access to much, only the drinks I pre planned for. I probably only had about 200 mg for 3 days in a row… and felt okay! I’m wondering how much my dependence was psychosomatic now…:thinking: (only speaking for myself here!)

5 Likes

I have to skip coffee for lab tests, which are years overdue, on Thursday this week. Closest doctor and lab is more than an hour away. I got the first appointment, 8:05 am. I will have coffee ready for right after the blood draw. And I know they will ask if I have molasses in my veins, bc without coffee, it doesn’t move! Only one small morning coffee today before X/C. Had a fantastic day on course! Felt amazing!
PS Green tea before eating gives me nausea

3 Likes

Guys and girls, I am failing. I haven’t slept well the last days and am tired. I had a coffee yesterday and decided to buy coffee this morning (grocery shopping). I don’t know. It was a decision. I don’t know if the feeling I am chasing after is an illusion of my mind. Like a dream far away in my past. When I first quit caffeine, at least that is my story I like to remember, that I slept like a baby until it was over and found a way back into a good pattern. I don’t remember if I drank a lot of alcohol at that time. I was still drinking, that’s a fact. But how much? I never found this state of sleep again. I stay tuned.

3 Likes

@Fireweed, @Bootz, @fl_flower_grl, and @Diamonster how are you doing with your caffeine goals?

@Diamonster I often get insomnia when I quit caffeine and it’s a little frustrating to deal with because it is this wall I have to climb over to get to my goal. I don’t know why sometimes there is great sleep and sometimes there is little sleep. I wonder if hormone cycles and/or where the moon is plays a part. :thinking: Hormones would make sense for sure, and since the moon has a pull on the earth’s water, it makes sense that it would have an effect on our mostly water bodies and brains. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Last week I completely back tracked. I had a lot of social obligations to attend to, and I can only be social for so long before I feel emotionally drained, which leads to feeling physically drained. To those who don’t know me well, I am very much seen as a lively extrovert; but as an introvert, I require a lot of quiet alone time to recover, and this is my preferred default mode until I interact with people once again.

There is something about simply being around other people that exhausts some kind of reserve levels that I have. It’s this strange stress I can feel in my body, even if I’m not interacting with anyone. I believe this may be due to growing up in a space where I was often alone and isolated from the world in general. Like there is a certain amount of stress endurance I never develped toward social stresses. :person_shrugging:

But anyway, I simply allowed myself to drop back into taking in however much caffeine I needed to get through last week and weekend. On Tuesday, I decided to simply stop taking caffeine, so I’m in day 3 of caffeine abstinence. I slept okay the first night, but last night was aweful. Miss Kitty was very worked up about something and eventually I had to shut her out of the bedroom.

Getting up was tough and I’m still dragging. In general, I have constant pain (I was hit by a snowplow several years ago), which the caffeine actually helps with, and it it starting to get colder at night and into the morning, so getting up and moving is a little rough, but managable. I know that the first 3-7 days is the hardest for me, but I’m trying to stick it out. Once I’m over the hump, I can start pulling myself off the OTC sleep medicine I take, because if I take caffeine I will not sleep without it.

3 Likes

I always appreciate your insights so much.

2 Likes

Meh, this week has been rough - I started working out in the mornings again since my husbands work schedule changed… some days that means I’m up at 430 … which means I need way more caffeine that day :woman_facepalming:t3: Working on it though!!

3 Likes

Hi @Bootz! Yes, green tea is complicated. When my braintumor re-grew it was one of the triggers for migraine attacks. So, no thanks at that time. Also might depend on how strong you take it. White tea is a milder version but lacks some of the green tea’s health benefits. There also is a decaffeinated product which is said to calm down, so it’s more like a sleeping time tea. In that sense i prefer chamomile and licorice.

2 Likes

I hear you @Diamonster. For how long have you been sober? My sleep was a disaster during first half a year. Have had problems ever since but much much better now :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for checking up @Chiron :hugs:

Phases of the moon, hormones, stress levels, whatever… all of them seem to affect if you ask me. Im still on slow tapering, waiting for a perfect timing or at least 65,% perfect :grin: to kick butt. Mental preparing is real.

Ive done some adjusting to my daily schedule in order to get better sleep and it seems to function. I no longer need sleeping aid except melatonin and im very happy about that. Step by step :muscle:

2 Likes

Only some weeks. :see_no_evil: It’s okay for me now. Since I left the foam maker at my mother’s it is a lot more reasonable.

3 Likes

Ha, what a smart move :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well, I made it to my fasting blood work with only a couple of sips after the drive but before my appointment. I’m going to see if the Huberman recommendation to delay caffeine for two hours after waking in order to let adenosine levels drop naturally really works. Today I had two big coffees in sequence, but early in the day, at 7&9 am. Had a good food day overall, so that’s good. Just took a calcium/magnesium chewable which always helps me sleep :sleeping:
@Chiron I am the same kind of “sociable introvert” as you describe yourself. People think I’m the life of the party, I work a room, and remember names and tell jokes…then I go home and collapse, exhausted. Until the next time. I’m beginning to think I might have some autistic tendencies. Don’t know if it’s worth investigating at my age.
@Fireweed That’s interesting about the green and white teas. I follow Dr. Greger’s NutritionFacts.org evidence based medicine. He really champions green tea. I like it, but I think of it more like a food. Good Matcha tea in the afternoon is quite nice. I just can’t stomach it earlier. And then warnings about tea from Japan post Fukushima started happening… It’s so difficult to live a simple food and health life.
May we all find healing and peace :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Is there an episode on caffeine from the Huberman Lab or is it part of the sleeping episode. I just made a quick search. I’d try to listen. It’s often very complex to listen to as a foreigner :grimacing:

2 Likes

Fukushima :dizzy_face: i never thought of that. Have to check where my organic tea comes from.
Good that you had your lab tests done. And yes, your social *symptoms" sound so familiar. As for me, i suppose the major load comes from being half deaf and not easy to hear what people talk. Ive developed an empathetic half-smile when i dont hear things :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I just heard of Huberman in another podcast. Have to check him out.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNsXxnUntdI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
This Insta post is the part I was talking about. The sleep episode, like the alcohol one, is really long, but the guest has a new book on sleep. I haven’t read it yet. Of course, this morning being Saturday, I couldn’t wait to get up at 5 am and have my coffee! The autopilot is even less aware than the red wine autopilot was at night! But maybe now I can keep myself caffeine free for the rest of the day. Let’s see. Huberman Lab is a funny thing. I like the info, but I don’t think I would like him as a friend. Not humble enough, or not enough evidence of the “school of hard knocks”? IDK. Maybe bc I was a gal prof in the sciences, I just assume he’s of a “type”. Privileged and blissfully ignorant. Oh, well, I’m way outside the scope of this thread! The sleep guy, he’s more accessibly human, self-effacing. Maybe bc he’s not an American male. Everything sounds better in British :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I went caffeine free for about 5 days until I got kicked in the butt by some kind of allergy induced sickness. I live right next to a beautiful green land area and every once in a while some kind of weed or allergen goes through the area that doesn’t agree with me and it puts me out for a bit. Sometimes it happens with the spring or autumn season changes as well.

So I did kick a bit of caffeine back in, but only 200mg/day–which, for me, is extremely low. That was just enough to get me through whatever things I had to do before collapsing into bed. I slept 12 hours last night (sans the two times I had to get up to feed miss kitty), and yet I still feel like I could sleep more.

Honestly, overall, I think I’m doing great by keeping the intake low; whereas, in the past I might have used it as an excuse to load up. Once whatever it is that I’m sick with passes me by, my plan is to reduce back down to zero and continue going forward.

@Bootz You know, these days I think there are so many possible “boxes” a person could be put into. I’ve wondered about whether I could fit into certain boxes as well, but like you I’m at an age that there doesn’t seem to be many reasons to know besides sating one’s curiosity. I do think that one excellent reason would be in the ‘self improvement’ area. Other people act as mirrors for us to see ourselves in ways way might not otherwise, and to allow us to see ‘blind spots’. If you get the opinion of several professionals who see this thing in you, then it gives you a data point for investigation. If anything within that data point plays a part in difficulties you might have in your life, then knowing would–in my opinion–allow you to figure out ways to respond to this difficulty in order to improve your overall life satisfaction.

But, then again, you seem pretty astute, and so you could probably do research on your own into the subject, figure out what seems to apply to you, then go forward from there to make life improvements. The only thing missing would be the ‘diagnosis’, which is necessary for younger people to get into programs which might help them succeed. On the other hand, some people do feel a sense of ‘relief’, ‘vindication’, or other emotions by getting some kind of diagnosis, even if nothing is done with it. Simply knowing is worth it.

On a different subject, what subject in the sciences were you a professor of??

2 Likes

I understand about using caffeine to cope with seasonal allergies and other unwellness. Coffee is loaded with antioxidants and also mobilizes blood lipids, it’s used to combat asthma, etc. I’ve added N-Acetyl Cysteine and upped my nooch, both of which are research proven. I’m a human nutrition and performance wonk by trade and training. That’s why it’s doubly odd that I fell into the red wine trap. And that was the source of my resentment; we had to kiss up to big food and big pharma for funding. Studies to justify the existence of manufactured “food” products that should never be consumed, yet are addictive. Ok, I’m derailing, feel free to pm me. I have had coffee today, Peet’s dark OG roast. Now drinking hot water :person_shrugging: So boring but maybe healthier
I’m not going to worry about the autism spectrum. I am working with a new therapist, and starting an intensive meditation practice in community. I think the pandemic isolation (or the enforced lack thereof) made many of us doubt our wholesomeness and resilience. It’s there, under all of the fallen leaves of life. Our work is to reveal it. Happy New Moon :new_moon_with_face:

3 Likes

This has been a crap week and I’ve been hitting up the caffeine harder than I would like in order to simply function. I’m still taking in far less than I was, so that’s a positive, but I know how easily that number can climb. Hopefully tomorrow I can begin reducing again tomorrow.

Will do.

2 Likes

Well, a 16 oz morning, and a 12 oz afternoon. I’m headed out for a thirty day meditation retreat, so I will be reporting back. I’m stepping into the unknown! I know they have green tea. I think :thinking:

2 Likes