The distance from my friends house

So I have a good friend in the next town, when I used to drink I’d hate going over because she never drank fast enough, I’m even embarrassed to say that if she went upstairs I would take more, sometimes even from her glass (shocking and horrible addictive behaviour).

If I stayed over at hers I would sneak about after she’d gone to bed, getting more drink and downing it before I would sleep (seriously, what is the point??? Just poisoning -and for what!?)

But the worst was that often I would make an excuse and leave at about 10pm to go home, call in at the shop on the way home, buy a bottle of wine and drink that whole thing, that after visiting her and having an evening of drinking with her.

Grim.

I’ve been over that way since stopping drinking and now we have such better quality time together. She commented the other day… I had messaged her when I got home, to say I was back and safe at home (as is our tradition) and she said “wow I thought you lived about half an hour away” (I live literally 10 mins away) the time difference was because literally EVERY time I went to her house I followed it with that shop routine. Every damn time.

So glad I don’t have to do that any more.

14 Likes

I’ve done the same thing :frowning: All of it. And now it’s soo liberating! We break the bonds of alcohol to live our life on our own terms and not alcohols! I’m with you friend and loving it :heart:

2 Likes

I would have stocked up on beer before I even went out! I would always drink more when I got home from a night out. Even if I couldn’t remember getting home! Id wake up to find empty cans… as you say it’s embarrassing now

1 Like

You should tell her this story it’s insane what our illness makes us do. Congrats on the new you BTW :+1:

2 Likes

Yep, I can relate to all of that. Especially downing drinks on the way home.

1 Like

I used to do that with my partner, when he went upstairs I would drink wine from his glass! I had actually forgotten about that til I read your story :see_no_evil: so thank you for the reminder cos I needed to hear that!!
I would always have pre drinks before he got home from work so I had a buzz cos he doesn’t drink very much then nick his!

Crazy what alcohol makes us do- the drug that’s socially acceptable- time to change the stigma I think!!

2 Likes

I always bought way too much so I didn’t run out!! My other half always thought that was weird :smile: like just have what’s here and then it’s gone!
It’s a very hot day in UK today and the pubs reopen so spending a lot of time on here remembering why I quit!!
And it’s exactly that! I would have to then go to the shop to buy more and make sure I had enough until I pass out on the couch- prob after starting an argument with the other half then feeling like a shitty mum!!
Tonic water and peach juice for me tonight in the sun :sun_with_face: