The first day of the rest of my life!

This morning was the first time i have woken up feeling good about myself first time without a hang over i am now a on day 8 sober and i was really wondering if it was all worth it. Iam on such a high this morning i feel like i could do a backflip im not sure what it is, is it because im stoked i made the impossible? (going a week without a drink)
Is it that i went to a really good meeting last night?
Is it just a temporary high?
This morning there is only 1 thing i worry about and that is that the guy that helps me and rings me every day is going on holidays it scares me a little because without him i wouldnt be where i am today but other than that im happy for the first time since giving it up i was beginning to think that sober life was a miserable as hell

14 Likes

That’s so awesome! 8 days is huge! It’s really truly the hardest part, the beginning. I’m sorry your helper is going on holiday. Maybe he has someone for back up that can step in? If not, just live here on this forum 24/7. I did that for the first month. I just needed help, and somebody was always here.

3 Likes

Yea funny you should say that he introduced me to another guy he also speaks to and we exchanged numbers and have already spoke to him this morning its good and i hope the high im on now stays around

2 Likes

Lol yeah that high is definitely needed right now in the beginning! Be careful though. In the early stages some times that good sober feeling would make me believe that I could have a drink to celebrate! Stupid I know But that addiction is tricky tricky little devil! Good work and way to be proactive!!!:grinning:

3 Likes

Yes! I know that feeling,the feeling of overconfidence, I could just have a "good day today " and only have a few pills (oxycodone was my vice), next thing I know I’m 30 days down the road and withdrawing all over again, NOT THIS TIME!! 60 DAYS CLEAN TOMORROW! :smile:

(Oxycodone could make you seem like your having a good day even if your house is burning down in front of you, it’s such a fake happiness that delays your sadness and emotion and intensifies it when your off the drug)

3 Likes

Yea very good advice

Congrats on 8 days! That is awesome! Believe in yourself and the process. Trust me, it gets more exciting as you watch the days continue to add up, then the years. I have 1598 days and still get excited to see the number grow. A sober life is an amazing life. Stay connected on here and at meetings to get yo u th rough his vacation. You’ve got this Parker!

2 Likes

Thanks dee and wow thats a long time well done to u too

1 Like

What you are experiencing is called the pink cloud.

https://elevationshealth.com/truth-about-pink-cloud-in-sobriety/

Thanks. I never take my sobriety for granted. It’s always one day at a time. As long as I always keep it relevant and on the front burner, I know I’ve got this. It’s when we let our guard down that relapse sneaks in. Been there, done that, not going back.

1 Like

Just had a read never really herd of it before but seems like a normal thing for normal ppl everybody has ups and downs its just how u manage the downs that determines the ups

1 Like

1598, that’s very inspiring.

2 Likes

The book This Naked Mind has been popular in this group. Might be a good read to keep you on track while your sponsor is away.

Hes not really my sponsor just a support person but ok i will look that up thanks

You are feeling so happy because you have made one of the best decisions of your life. You will gradually awaken all sorts of emotions which alcohol numbs and this is daunting but great.
Congratulations on reaching day 8. Continue to wake with a clear head and no regrets and stay close to friends here for added support. You are doing brilliantly

1 Like

Thanks very much