The habit is so hard to break

The habit of going to the bar after work to relax and have the best cocktails. I’m in this for the long run don’t get me wrong, even though I’m barley on day 3 but I guess it’s the habit I miss? But still it sucks and can’t wait till I get a good habit that was as strong as drinking…

9 Likes

Is there a meeting you could hit on the way home instead?

7 Likes

How about working out? Go for a run or walk. Hit the gym. Anything to keep your mind off the hootch.

5 Likes

I wish I could love physical activity enough to want to do it. I was a frequent gym goer almost everyday for a Couple of years but I never wanted to go I just went because I thought I had to(body image problems) it was alway a job. But ya I just need to explore different aspects of it. I Need to find out who I am and what I like

6 Likes

OK, well you don’t HAVE to go to a gym. The world is our gym! If there’s a tree, you have a pull up station. A ground; earth downs and sit ups! And what’s this body image problem? Who cares! It’s YOUR body and YOUR workout! You’re not doing it for other people; you’d be doing it for yourself! F the world! You do you for your health. Mentally and physically. You are woman. We should hear you roar! :muscle::metal:

4 Likes

Your friend is wise.

4 Likes

I understand 100% @NikkiMoon. Especially now that it is summer. A cold beer (or 10) on the beach is calling my name. Every day after work beer was my thing. It feels very lonely to not have a “plan”, let alone a plan that will take the emotional pain away. I’m half way through day 3 and it feels like an eternity.

5 Likes

I know the feeling I’m on day 3 and really fancy a beer
I don’t know if it is habit
Or the fear of missing out
I just think why can’t I be like other people and have just a beer and leave it at that
But I know I can’t do that tried in the past and it doesn’t work

1 Like

Exactly! Well I’m in the same situation with you. How are you dealing with your emotions? What have you done to keep you mind off that after work beer? Please feel free to message me, we’re at the same spot.

2 Likes

And @Minutebyminute, @Greentea17
That habit is the hardest to break I found. It physically hurt me for at least a week to not stop at the store on the way to work and on the way home and while I was at work.
Before I gave up I would just go when I needed a drink. I work on my own so it was easy for me.
I always had a can on the go.
When I stopped, the hardest thing to do was to stop myself. That’s basically it. Stop yourself.
Everytime you do you get stronger and it feels so good to defeat the demon.
It really does.

6 Likes

I’m in it too. Day 4 for me. I had some cravings day 1-3 but tonight has been the worst

1 Like

I just don’t like the control it has over me. Like why can’t I stop thinking about it🥺 have you been doing anything special to keep you mind off of it?

2 Likes

I’m really trying I just wish something would relax me as much :pleading_face:

1 Like

I can’t just go to the gym. Some can. I’m not one of them. Going to the gym must be for a specific goal. I swam every day, when I was training for a 10k charity endurance swim. Once completed, I lost interest in just swimming for exercise. Next it was cycling. I trained for several charity distance rides. Once those were done, I couldn’t just ride to ride. Then it was a Marathon, so I trained and ran all of the shorter workup races. Now it’s martial arts. I want a black belt.

My point is, maybe you will do better if you are actually aiming at something in the future. At least this is what works for me.

5 Likes

I feel the same way and you’re not in this alone. Today I went out and got something sweet and I watched a movie and the feeling eventually passed. Sugar isn’t the best alternative but just being honest with what I did tonight. You can msg whenever if you need to vent. I’ve adopted the never crave alone phrase that I learned on this app. Stay strong!

2 Likes

It’s hard at first and I know that to you, where you are now, it feels crap and like it’s never going to go away! It consumes almost all your waking time! I know!
@JMAR says he bought sweets and watched a movie. This worked for me.
Don’t worry about the sugar thing. Your body is craving it. Go with it. If it helps why fight it?
The most important thing for you right now is to not drink!!
So do whatever it takes.
Stand headfirst in a bucket of shit if you have to.
For the first month it felt like I was in a daze. Work, eat, bath, sleep was my routine. My attention was on not having that first drink!
I was tired, constantly!
I ate way too much sugar!
I drank way too much coffee!
I wanted to get sober!!
I used to read people’s posts on here and wish I could feel like they were!
That was something else I did. I read and reread around on here. Searched topics, took onboard what people were saying.
I accepted the fact that I was powerless over alcohol. And I let nothing get in the way.
Now I feel like all those people who were ahead of me back then. Now I feel free.

8 Likes

Ok, I’ll trust ya! :slight_smile: I cant wait till I feel that good! Im sure I’m not to far off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m tired all the time and feel like I’m in a fog. Hearing that someone else feels/has felt the same way as I do now helps me get through it. @NikkiMoon this is why I keep coming back!

4 Likes

I found that after some time sober, a few months at least, I was much more relaxed. Up until that time, I was high the eff strung…for real.

I also agree that physical activity, not necessarily the gym, is a HUGE boost. Finding some exertion that you enjoy…even just walks…is fantastic for your body mind and spirit. Meditation and yoga were super helpful to me as well…to help me get that relaxed feeling.

Breaking habits IS hard, but keep working at it and you WILL get positive results. :heart:

2 Likes

Me too! I’m definitely the person that needs reassurance lol and this has been doing just that. But yay we’re almost at our week goal! Once I get through this weekend it’s going to be such A confidence boost :pray:

2 Likes