The High Fantasy Reading Thread

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Tomorrow is my library day since it’s open late and next to my home group. I’m going to have to bug the librarian to find these books for me lol

2 Likes

I like Terry Brooks. I own most of the Shannara Series, but have only read the first trilogy and the Heritage quad. I’ve hear they get a lot better. The originals from the 80’s were very Tolkien.

You are right about Hobb writing in first person in the first trilogy, but I don’t think she does that in the second trilogy, because it’s not about Fitz.

I’ve never read Terry Brooks, maybe I should give it a try! I have a habit of finding something I like and rereading it over and over. Usually because a new book comes out in the series, and I can’t remember the details of where it left off.

I never could finish Tolkien. I remember though when I saw the movies being absolutely shocked to find out how similar Wheel of Time was to the Tolkien stories. I did not yet know it is the basic format of a classic fantasy. Start in village with normal kid, find out he us special, go on a quest with friends to save the world from evil.

Can you tell me a little about the different Terry Brooks series, and why you like them?

Haha! That is the plot of the first one. It’s very dungeon and dragon feely. He gets better. I’ve found that most books have one similar plot, different skin. Kinda like how songs sound the same?

1 Like

Oh, WOT totally departs from the classic plot after the first book or three. And he actually has tons of strong women characters, which is pretty rare in fantasy.

1 Like

No, I agree. I’ve read all of WOT. Great series. Sad when it ended. And wanted to know more about the characters who survived.

Whatever you do, do NOT start with Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. You need some fantasy muscles before tackling a 15-book series where each book has more than 1000 pages and there are 100s of characters to keep track of and a dozen cultures to keep track of, and some of the books don’t even really gave an ending… Don’t get me wrong, I loved every minute of the dozen times that I read it, but it is not for beginners!

2 Likes

Definitely. But if there were more books they wouldn’t all fit on my bookshelf haha

2 Likes

Totally not a for beginners series. If someone reads WOT, they should not put it down until they’re done. Too many characters to keep track of.

2 Likes

Absolutely. You cannot put a book down for any period of time and pick up the next book and have any idea what’s going on!

2 Likes

I guess I will have to take notes when I eventually get there

At least WOT ended the way I wanted, and not like Christopher Paolini’s series. Worst ending ever.

Although the Eragon series was pretty easy reading if you need to ease into High Fantasy. Fun storyline, good characters, unique world and creatures. Only 4 books.

Yeah, WOT had a great ending. For such a build-up, I was worried. But it was great. Thanks to Brandon S for doing such a good job writing it! I’ll bet anything though that RJ knew that ending from waaaay before. Maybe not at the start, but early on. Everyone bitched about the 8th book being so boring, but the second time I read it I could see that he was working so hard to set up this huge world with alliances and enmities and to create a sense of chaos.

Yes, I took notes. A lot of notes. I also bought the encyclopedia and had a map taped to my wall.

1 Like

Jesus, I didn’t study that hard in school lol. I definitely need to work my way up to that

Same. I have the world guide as well. I snored through Crossroads of Twilight. Took me like 9 months to finally finish it.

I always wished I could take a class on the series where we studied it and discussed it. I would have given a lot to have someone to talk to about it. It is just so neat.